Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wii Owner Update

Last week I posted asking for advice on my Wii system that had been sitting in the back of my closet. I had offers from a couple of friends who were interested in buying it, and I was considering using it for a few days before I decided. Well, I used it for a few days, and here’s my verdict (hold the applause). I rented Epic Mickey from Blockbuster over the weekend, and have been playing it this week (Good: fun homage’s to cartoons past – Bad: the camera angles were often very frustrating and the gameplay a bit repetitive and juvenile). I really have been charmed by the unique control possibilities offered by the controller and nunchuk (I can see this being great for sword fighting games), something I previously thought I never would. But most appealing is the possibility of downloading old games. I actually went ahead and bought a wireless router last night so I can use this out in the garage (where I usually play games), and successfully bought some Wii points. Tonight I’m planning to either buy the original Legend of Zelda or Super Mario 3 to relive some of the old magic of those clunkers (only three bucks each!). I’m sure others will follow (Castlevania games for sure. Hmm…I wonder if the original Metal Gear is available?). So it looks like my Wii is here to stay. I still want a 360 and PS3 soon, but this should occupy me enough so that I can wait until all the great after Xmas sales in January.

13 comments:

  1. I'm on my 3rd 360 after the first two bricked (Xbox replaced them both for free), but the system is great. My wife and I have been toying with the idea of getting a Wii. I think she will enjoy the more casual gaming aspects of it where the 360 is more for hardcore gamers. Good to hear all the old games are available. WotC might want to take note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some sword fighting in this one Star Wars Wii game I had, but the game in general was so bad that I ditched after a single use. Wii Resort Sports has some pseudo-sword fighting - really you just keep you guard up and wait for your opponent to muff it and then smack them on the head. Mario Kart is probably the best game I've played on the Wii. Raving Rabids has a few charms as well, assuming you have a weird sense of humor. A first-person "shooter" for four using D&D rules would be awesome on the Wii - maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim: Really? Was the the "red ring of death" thing? What a pain in the ass to send it in and wait for another. I'm probably going to get a Gamestop refurbish for around 100 bucks, and hopefully I can take it back to them if there is a problem with it.
    Matt: there seems to still be a lot of love for the original Zelda, despite the simple game play. I kind of hanker for that, and that soundtrack theme that I was hearing for hours and hours as I played it back in the day. Never get tired of it! Looking forward to reliving the old magic. It'll probably inspire me to go ahead and get that Twilight Princess game eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I downloaded the original final fantasy from the Wii channel a few months ago; was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no plans to get a XBOX 360 ever. The horror stories of it failing are just too much for me. I have had my PS3 for a bit over a year now and have never had a problem with it. Not only that, but since I can download games as well, I am picking up the entire final fantasy series from the beginning, piece by piece. Got 7 and will be picking up 8 and 9 soonish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olodrin: With my past love of FF7, I should probably give that first in the series ago. I'm enjoying the old school Zelda play, so that may be next.
    Shinob: those horror stories kept me at bay as well. But I figure a Gamespot refurbish may come with any problems like that ironed out. I hope. Anyway, like i said, no need to rush now that I am having fun on this Wii.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brunomac, you may want to check out Red Steal 1 and 2 for swordfighting games. I heard 2 was really good at getting the gestures down. I'm unaware if it requires the Wii Motion Plus (modules that plug into the wiimotes to increase range of motion sensitivity).

    Glad you're liking it!

    P.S. If you like questing games Mario Galaxy is a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jay: that sounds like it might be good. I know Twilight Princess has some sword action, as well as that one - "No Time for Heroes" or something like that, with the lightsaber dude who saves his game by taking a dump.

    Mario Galaxy is on my radar, although much like Zelda TP used copies are still fetching a fairly high price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jay: that sounds like it might be good. I know Twilight Princess has some sword action, as well as that one - "No Time for Heroes" or something like that, with the lightsaber dude who saves his game by taking a dump.

    Mario Galaxy is on my radar, although much like Zelda TP used copies are still fetching a fairly high price.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, also highly recommend World of Goo; fun little puzzle solving game available on WiiWare.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally recommend you try playing Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. Shooting infected villagers in the head never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally recommend Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. Shooting infected villagers in the head never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Olodrin: I just downloaded Supermario 3 last night, but I'll check out that title and other Wiiware over the holiday
    Todd: Oh dude, I played the hell out of Res Evil 4 on my PS2. My friend Terry has played it a lot lately on her Wii, and I had fun hearing about her adventures with that. I may borrow her copy to check out the Wii experience with it.

    ReplyDelete