Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wii owners, help a bro out



For the most part, I have always gotten video game systems years after they come out. When folks where digging on their Playstation around the year 2000, I was still plugging away with Sonic on my Genesis. When games were jamming on their Playstation 2’s, I was still going strong on my Playstaton 1.

For the most part it has nothing to do with cost (at least for the systems, I would never buy a new game at full price. As if.), it was that I didn’t spend as many hours on a game as lots of other people would. Unless I was burning my way through the better part of a twelve pack of Bass Ale, an hour or so would do it for me on any given night. Plus I liked to get games used, because I’ve got Scottish blood filling my veins and will rarely pay new retail price for anything but socks, underwear, and liquor. And when I like that game, I’ll play it a couple of times, unless that game is of the likes of Final Fantasy 7 that you can easily put 80 hours into and has no replay value.

Right now I think I am ready for XBOX 360 or PS 3. My mouth has been watering for around two years to play games like Bioshock, Dead Rising, and Fallout. Damn, these games all have sequels out already. Well, last year at the office Xmas party I was lucky enough to win the best raffle prize – the Nintendo Wii (a two year streak – I won a high end DVD player the year before. Maybe I’ll win a car at next weeks party). Although weaker in ability than 360 and PS3, it was at least a newer system. Alas, after putting maybe an hour into tennis and boxing with the game it came with, it has now spent around 11 months in its box in the closet next to the set of Spanish bagpipes that I paid 500 bucks for but never play (fucking toy).

For one thing, I have games I am still enjoying on my Original XBOX and PS2. I’m on my third run through on Knights of the Old Republic (I got inspired by my upcoming KOTOR RPG I’m going to do for the group to have one more run through), am still trying to get the motivation up to finish the very difficult Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and once a week or so regular group player Terry comes by for a couple of hours to play Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance 2 that I happen to have for the XBOX. But before this year is up I’ll be done (or fed up) with these, and will want to maybe give that Wii a shot before trading up to the 360.

So, maybe you can help me. I’m fairly unfamiliar with the Wii. I know it is mostly a kiddie/family system, and is famous for that Wii Fit stuff (c’mon, I get a better work out washing my Jeep). But what else is there I might have fun with? I know of Mario Galaxy from others who have the system, but I’d like something with a little more realistic and/or serious action for a grown up. I also know that Dead Rising was ported over to this, but I heard that it has features of the original that are missing (important ones, like the ability to jump over fences). So what would I like?

Here’s an idea of the things I like to give you an idea: I like mellow jazz, long walks on the beach, holding hands, fluffy kittens, and sipping tea while curling up in front of the fire with a good book. OK, I don’t really like any of those things. But heres some of my favorite games from older systems to give you and idea of what appeals to me (whether it be RPG, action game, or shooter).

Super Mario Bros. 1&3: what’s not to love? Mindless but challenging gameplay.

Final Fantasy 7: Taught me to love again. And also to have patience. I put 80 hours into it.

Resident Evil: Played all the regular ones in the series on Playstation, and then Res Evil 4, the best, on PS2. I played it through 3 or 4 times. Outstanding gameplay and story. Terry has this on the Wii, but I don’t need to play it on another system. I’m done.

Silent Hill: all the thrills and great gameplay of Resident Evil, with more creepy scares. Especially liked the first in the series, and The Room.

Castlevania: loved ‘em on the Genesis, and adored Symphony of the Night on PS1.

Fear Effect: 1&2, great action gameplay similar to Res Evil, but with interesting story, characters, and lesbo love.

Tenchu Steath Assasins: My one and only Ninja game. Played it a half dozen times through.

Dune 2000/Sim City 2000: yeah, I can dig a certain amount of Micromanagement. Makes me feel like a god, I tells ya! I especially loved the cinematic live scenes in Dune 2000, as well as the movie soundtrack used in it. Shamelessly used money cheats though.

Diablo: Oh yeah, fun fun fun top down gameplay. How could anybody who grew up on D&D not like it?

Champions of Norrath/Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance: both with that winning Diablo style top down gameplay. Terry fell in love with CoN, and because of that I have a girl coming over a few times a month who I am not banging. Thanks a lot, CoN/BGDA.

Halo 2: Oh man, I can still pop it in for huge fun. One of the only shooters I ever got into. Great story and solid Sci Fi concepts.

So, anything you can recommend for Wii? Or should I just try to get 60 bucks or so for it on Ebay, and put that towards a nice used 360?

11 comments:

  1. I have a Wii. Honestly the thing that bugs me the most about it is that I can't subscribe to a MLB.com channel on it. It has been the least played of all the Nintendos I've owned (only N64 and Gamecube before). Zelda in any form has been quite good, although this last version didn't pull me in the same way others had. Super Mario Galaxy is good. But I haven't really played it that much. Probably the most time I spent on it was with the wife playing golf and solo tennis in Wii sports. Aside from that it is our Netflix box.

    I'd take your own suggestion and buy one on eBay, but personally I'd consider just upgrading your computer before getting a 360. PC games are cheaper and more numerous, and it's basically the same platform. Unless you're paying for the luxury of playing from a sofa, which I totally get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend Epic Micky if you stick with the Wii. I'm currently drooling over it but it would be wise to wait for reviews anyway if your cautious. It's actually darker than you think it would be. I can't think of anything else at the moment, I've been out of the console game for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm predominantly a PC and PS3 gamer, but I've grown to love my Wii lately by embracing what it can do over the other systems.

    Games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns I think are the best reasons to keep the system around, because it's old-school style 2D platformers that are challenging to the point you want to chuck the controllers in frustration (you know, like back in the day!) But they also take advantage of Wii controls to add little motions and quirky moves to expand the game play a bit.

    And while nothing is as graphically intense as on the Xbox360 or PS3, I've been converted to shooters on the Wii using a Zapper (or even a cheap $10 gun attachment). I wasn't a fan of the Conduit until I played it with an actual gun in my hand. Conduit 2 is supposed to be out soon. They also remade Goldeneye with online play.

    But even the "rail shooters" are fun on the Wii. The Link's Crossbow game that came with the Wii Zapper is fun for me to unwind with, and the House of the Dead games are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you wash your jeep, but WiiFit Plus is an AMAZING workout!! Get the board and you can also hook it into games like PunchOut, which is hard enough using the controller, but switch to balance board for footwork and look out! I am bathed in sweat every time I climb on the thing, my faves being Wii Fit's skateboard, boxing, kung fu, step dance, snowball fight. And you can still get old Resident Evil games and RPGs. If you wanna be a slave to the latest big thing and exercise yer thumbs alone while paying top dollars to see video wrinkles, by all means get an Xbox or PS3. But if you wanna get off your ass and have fun shaking your booty with 2 to 3 friends, there's no better than the Wii.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that the new(ish) Super Mario Bros for Wii is awesome. I really enjoyed it, especially when playing with others.

    That being said, I VERY RARELY play the Wii. My friend bought me a 360 a couple years ago and it's the bomb. Don't know if it's better than PS3, but also don't care. Oblivion is a super fun game, as is Fallout. Both are total sandboxes and super in-depth. You'll get your money's worth for sure. If either of those are avaiable on Wii, go for it. Bioshock, which you mentioned, is also super fun.

    If you find out that those games are unavailable for Wii, I'd seriously act on that idea of selling it and picking up the 360 or PS3. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain when it come to CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth. I love that game but it seems like it took forever to get through.

    As for Wii games, I got the wife and kiddie one a couple years back, but I still use my older systems most of the time (X-box, PS2, PSP, SNES and Genesis most of the time). However I did find a few games for the Wii that I really like.
    Dead Rising: Chop till you Drop is probably one of the most fun games I've found on the Wii. I play this quite a bit.
    Ghostbusters is a lot of fun. The graphics are more cartoon like than on the PS3 or 360 version, but still a good game.
    Spider-man: Shattered Dimension. I just got this one and haven't played it yet, but it looks damn good.
    Lego Batman is a lot of fun. Actually I really like most of the Lego games. They're easy, but fun.

    I think there are several Resident Evil games for Wii. RE4, RE:Darkside Chronicles, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, RE Archives: Resident Evil, & RE Archives: Resident Evil Zero.
    Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I don't know much about this one, but I've heard it was good. I liked SH on the PSOne, PS2 and PSP, but have never played it on Wii.
    I think there is a version of Dead Space for the Wii.
    There are a couple of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games for Wii. The Crystal Bearers and Echoes of Time. I've never played these.

    I think Black Ops was also released for the Wii.

    As for good Wii games that's about all I know of. I'm sure there are more, but since I'm not a big Wii fan I don't keep up with it. I'm just waiting to get my hands on a PS3 come spring so I can play the Batman Arkham games, NHL11 and Bioshock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that helps.
    The Baldur's Gate games were great. I still enjoy them as does the wife and daughter.
    I wouldn't get rid of the Wii. It has taken me a while, but I'm beginning to look for and find some good games for it. Of course I wouldn't get a 360, I'd get a PS3 just because I love my PSP so much and want the connectivity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nintendo has a large catalog of old and new games available for download, some for as little as $5. My nephew got all the Strong Bad/Homestarrunner games and my buddy got lots of old NES SNES and classic Nintendo arcade games. He is a huge fan of classic Zelda, and his wife can spend hours playing arcade Mario Bros.
    I suggest you browse the online store before you make your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess is pretty cool. Any of the Lego games (Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones).

    Oh, and check out My Fitness Coach - it's a much better workout, and a far cheaper game!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a Wii and we've loved playing it. I'll second Super Mario Galaxy (1 player with 2nd "helper") and the Lego games--both Star Wars (both 2 player) games being the best so far. I also heard that Harry Potter was the best so far.

    Since the Wii is more of a social gaming console, Mario Party is also a lot of fun.

    Of late we've been having a blast playing Ghostbusters (2 player) and streaming Netflix movies, LOTS of Netflix movies--including this little gem!

    Finally, I have to ask: Spanish bagpipes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bulette: I've always heard good things about that Zelda TP game for Wii. with all it's dungeons it sounded kinda D&D. But the sucker is still around 29-39 bucks used at Gamestop. My cheapie ethic won't let me pay more than 25 bucks for a game.

    Loneislander: LA Sunday Times had a huge article on Epic Mickey last week. I love the homages to both darker Mickey, and older characters.

    Rev. Laz: I haven't had a gun controller since Duck Hunt, but yeah maybe this would be the system to have one for. Those House of the Dead shooters (I think you get 2 & 3 in a game I saw) might be fun on this.

    Tedan: I have to admit, I got a pretty good little workout with the boxing game when I was trying the system out last December - and I have a little bit of a boxing background (still have a heavy bag up but hardly use it these days due to a bit of carpal tunnel). Maybe just for that I should consider keeping it.

    Monk: I'm a PS guy through and through, but I would for sure love to pick-up a 360 AND a PS3. Gamestop sometimes has 360 used for 99 bucks (and they did on CyberMonday - shoulda snapped one up). I just gotta get started on one of those sandbox games, dammit.

    GeekGaz:Yeah, Dead Rising I've wanted to play, but I heard for the Wii you can't just fences or some such. Did you notice anything like that? I might get it, because I think you can get a used one for arond 20 bucks. Worth a shot for 20.

    Sovereign: I need to look into the online capabilities before I ditch out on this I think.

    David: Really, that Zelda game is the one I have wanted to play the most. Must be popular still, cause you cannot get it cheap.

    Jay: Even though I play the Great Highland Bagpipe, I have a bunch of friends in the world music scene who play the Spanish ones, or "Gaita." I had one made for me a couple of years ago (you can play the Gaita with others instruments, whereas the highland pipes not so much..just drum and brass), but as my friends who play live up North, I don't get much chance to learn on it. Gonna probably sell it this coming year and buy some video game systems with the cash! (or maybe a mandolin or something).

    ReplyDelete