(note: halfway through this session I would have an interesting, and kind of troubling situation with one of the players. Most of the first half of the session was a meeting where a new players character was introduced. A mutant college girl with electrical abilities. The group doing the usual role play razzle dazzle. It was great. But the last hour or so of the night was not. Stay tuned.)
So leaving off from last week, the characters had taken part in "auditions" for an unknown potential employer and met all kinds of weirdos (or at least maybe weirder than them). They passed the audition, informed by "Wilmington" of such, and piled into a couple of self-driving luxury limo vans to head to a meeting point.
Meanwhile, some of the runners up of the auditions event had met in the parking lot and suggested to group together for their mutual benefit (they would eventually call themselves "The Redeemers"). I would be using them soon enough, but not in this session. But the sooner I start doing up challenges for the characters the better.
So they go to the venerable old Winston Bldg downtown. As I mentioned I used this building for the old Justice Incorporated games. In it were the JI offices (on a floor number and suite I never write down so probably different every time I mention it over the years).
There they meet Japanese Irish corporate CEO industrialist (and one of the richest people on the planet) Patricia Elizabeth Kyono in person.
So they are informed of the history of her side thing Justice Incorporated. Once a street level organization, helping the downtrodden and higher-level people alike who find themselves victims of some unjust situation. With the organization in limbo for almost 10 years (in the setting), she wants to bring it back, this time with a group that has more power to it, similar to a typical superhero team situation. With an offer to maintain secret identity's if necessary, a place to stay if needed, and a few grand a month, she gets them to agree and gives them a special debit card, that can be used to withdraw cash, use as a bank card (Kyono owned bank of course), and even as a communication device and keycard to use the buildings private elevator and roof access.
With the characters agreeing for now, they get introduced to Rachel, the offices receptionist and assistant.
While permanent, off site accommodations are being looked into for the characters who need it, most of them crash at the offices which has three small bed chambers (not made for permanent stays) and a reception couch. Even with them staying there, and Rachel always being available, nobody has realized yet that she is a Life Model Replicant assistant model, produced by Kyono International.
 |
I am not exactly sure where Paladin came from (the Middle East maybe, the player said he came to have on a plane to attend the auditions, so he had no place to stay). |
 |
Seraph is a being from another dimension who had been living in an abandoned warehouse, so she crashed at the office as well. |
 |
Igneous is a descendant of Titans who just wanders the Earth. So he crashed there.
|
 |
Living in a professional workspace can be... problematic to a certain degree |
So not everybody had to live there. But the space is all appointed, with a main office, conference room, kitchenette and gym with small sauna.
So yeah, most of the characters did go ahead and just start living there. And with the characters having got to know each other a bit, they went about their week. Seraph, the winged girl, actually trained a bit; some combat basics with paladin in the office, and with Igneous. He took her to an abandoned part of the railyard in town and had her fly around dodging big rocks he would throw.
OK, so during that week of in game downtime I wanted to try something out. In my old campaigns, I would sometimes like to throw a quick encounter at a character solo. Like something designed to be quick, like 20 minutes max. Stop some muggers or something.
I will call the player I did this with "C." He is a young dude in his late 20's I think, and I was fairly jazzed to get him on board originally because he has streamed probably at least 100 hours of running the Marvel Multiverse RPG online. Sessions with 4 or 5 players that went over four hours in some cases. I will admit I had only watched a few minutes of it here and there. Most of the videos have less than 5 views. I do not want to point him or his streams out, because as it turns out he clearly has some form of emotional issues and out of at least some compassion for it I do not want to identify him.
But you don't have to look too deeply to find multiple instances of him identifying as neurodivergent in his videos. Like, totally embracing it. To me, using that term, is kind of broad. Forrest Gump and his chocolate box level of variety is what I think is under that umbrella. OK, cool. I always like to say "we are rpg players...we are all autistic."
He seemed like a cool guy and I like him. It seemed a big surprise to him that I was calling for unique characters to be created. Like most others it seems who play this system, he prefers existing Marvel characters. Everybody is playing an X -Man character. I was like, no, we get to be creative in my space. He came up with a character who was a Daredevil legacy character. His mentor was Matt Murdock in his 70's. The character was blind as well, but had Daredevil-like senses, but even more advanced. To the point he sort of had powers that gave him visions of possible future outcomes, and he could "see" down to the molecular level. Interesting.
He was the one character in the group invested in crime fighting. That and C's experience running the game seemed a no brainer to try this.
OK, so back in the day I had this vigilante NPC I used for some Justice Incorporated stuff. Her name was "Sister Mary Alice," or "Malice." She was a revenant, a young nun who decades ago had been assaulted and killed and returned for vengeance. She would appear every few years for a time, having possessed the body of a young woman to use for her activities.
Sister Mary could imbue her vessel with enhanced strength and resistance, and she could levitate, phase through matter, and teleport. She could also produce most any archaic weapon she wanted; swords, axes, spears, etc. Back in my old Justice Inc. campaigns she would commit murders that the characters would try to stop. I have her as Rank 4 in this system, which for sure made her a strong foe for any Rank 3 character. It's the strongest I ever had her in the history of my games.
So, I would introduce her with this quick solo encounter.
Also for this I created another female vigilante, "Devota," a young Latina woman in Day of the Dead makeup who was on a similar quest for vengeance as Mary's, but since she was mortal was using the pistols of her late Green Beret grandfather to take out men of violence.
I actually had a T shirt long ago with a day of the dead lady on it, and back then I thought she might make a nice gritty vigilante character who was wronged by men and was taking her vengeance on them. I thought she would make an interesting indie comic book character. A wronged Catholic girl who brought justice to the hood.
 |
I was always fascinated by these. Growing up in Los Angeles I saw plenty of this over the decades. |
 |
You see the Dead Girl imagery a lot on slot machines |
For this I would have Mary Alice raising from the grave once more and possessing some random young woman, in order to assist and protect this new, unpowered killer who was on a similar quest as hers. Local news reports spoke of dead gang members being found with both bullet and sword wounds.
I had even had characters who moved around the city notice graphitti of Devota in rough parts of town, where she was already becoming an urban legend much like Malice was.
So I had C's character on patrol in the bad part of town encounter her on the hunt. Actually, it was her disguised in trench coat and blond wig, luring several gang members to an alleyway then up on to a rooftop, before she revealed herself and started blasting.
 |
| For the gang I used Baseball Furies from The Warriors |
C's character showed up on the roof to confront it all. He seemed OK, until Devota started blasting on the gang members. This is where he started to have his apparent doubts. Sister Mary Alice rose up out of the rooftop as an apparition, created a sword, and ran it through one of the gangsters, at the same time telling Ghost not to interfere. At this point C was getting flustered, muttering "I don't know what to do!" and then "my neurodivergence!"
C was kind of paralyzed it seemed. Continuing to state things like "what should I do?" I was all like "what do you want to do? What would this character do?" I mean, this was a character based on Daredevil. And we know what he would do. Start punching faces maybe.
It turned into a surreal situation. This guy ran over a hundred hours of this system online for a handful of people. I thought if anybody could help me make this a quick 15 minute encounter, it would be him. But I was I guess putting him on the spot. But it surprised me. I did stuff like this in all the genres I ever ran, something happen to a character while alone. Champions. Call of Cthulhu. Even Runequest. I think just a few minutes of that really gives a character some personal agency. Not all the time, but especially for a comic book thing. All the Avengers etc do some things alone. I have probably had people hesitate now and again. My past players were often friends of mine I had outside DnD. But this sort of gob smacked me. And I have the other players just hanging out while 10 minutes turned into 45.
I finally coerced him to attack Mary Alice, and he did, but found his attack only did minimal damage. I told him she had great "Sturdy" and was a Rank 4 foe and he freaked out more. Again with the "but my neurodivergence!" C had clearly decided at some point in his life that he would declare his neurodivergence at any opportunity. I had never encountered this before. If this was somebody new to rpg's you could expect some not knowing what to do. But I thought he would be perfect for this. Was meant to be the short showcase of the session but to me was a disaster. A failed experiment.
I had the gang members scatter, and Devota took off down a fire escape, and Malice vanished as well. I had the other players sitting there all that time just watching this play out. Not good. The teenager playing Ra-Ta the alien had checked out for the night. But I carried on for a bit to try and finish up the session.
C's character had called in the other characters Ghost to help search the area, but all the foes were long gone.
I followed up with Kyono calling a meeting the next day to talk about a friend of hers, a goddaughter, who was running a night club and was having some trouble with the other nightclub across the street. We would get into the in the next session. But the waste of the better part of an hour and the seeming failure or doing little solo missions, left a bad taste in my mouth.
We did not hear from C for several sessions, though he was still a member of the Discord. I think he was not there for the last 20 minutes or so of that session with the quiet freak out. At some point later, he messaged the group, just the other week "sorry guys, have been having some health issues." He did not mention neurodivergence there, but I am guessing yeah, he is dealing with issues.
It has been several sessions since that night, and I maybe should have tried to reach out. But I just gave him space. I hope it had nothing to do with a fairly gritty encounter. Guns and vengeance girls out of a Tarentiono movie. But shit, Quenten is one of my inspiration muses for style in my games (yes, even DnD) along with Sam Raimi and James Cameron. And Haven is, as I constantly stress, a kitchen sink. A pastiche world. Inspired by standard comics, cyberpunk, superhero deconstruction, gritty supernatural, future noir, anime, and 80's action movies. And I'm running for adults here. Its going to be PG and sometimes its going to be rated R.
What're you gonna do. I could have handled it differently. I guess? I mean I was calm and kind during the encounter he was having a bad time with. Nobody else had much to say, maybe some being miffed by the wasted time. Safe to say I am unlikely to try the "solo 20 minutes" things again. But maybe will have some split the party moments in the future that would be kind of like that. Anyway, as of today we are several sessions past that night, and I worked hard to present some fun stuff to make up for it, and it seems to be paying offing. Campaign is at the moment going well.
Next I post on this, I will cover the following session that I based on two old movies, Roadhouse and Urban Cowboy. I called it "A night at Club Future." Cheers.
Not criticizing you, but if you were counting on his track record of running 100+ hours of actual plays as a basis for his overall roleplaying skills, sitting through at least one of the shorter sessions completely might have been a good idea. You mentioned his vids having very few views and some very long run times even for an RPG AP, which suggests to me that there's something wrong somewhere. He turned what you were expecting to be a 15 minute aside to demo the system and let him establish his character better into around an hour of indecisive inaction. If that happens regularly in his vids, it's no wonder he broke the four-hour mark at one point.
ReplyDeleteTime on the clock doesn't mean a thing in APs if the game isn't moving, is what I'm saying.
Without having been there I can't say much else beyond pointing out that this early in the campaign, players don't know each other well enough to provide the kind of team support you (hopefully) see later on. Not surprising that no one stepped forward with suggestions for C, especially if they were understandably wary of being seen as trying to exploit his mental health issues to puppet his character or doing something that would offend him. The connections just aren't there yet, but of course you didn't really have any reason to expect he'd go "deer in the headlights" on you either.
I kind of wonder what a legacy Daredevil would do in that scenario, though. If the gangers weren't actively threatening the vigilantes before they were attacked, I could see him trying to stop the group that started it - or (given the power disparity) take the other approach and do non-lethal takedowns on the gangers as fast as possible and then confront the vigilantes with the question of whether killing helpless foes is really where they want to go with things? Might even work on the mortal, and possibly cause a split between her and the supernatural murder machine.
But that's me typing at leisure behind a keyboard and internet anonymity. I'm not on the spot, and if I am neurodivergent I'm blissfully unaware of it.
Fair points. I don't know that I was counting on anything to be honest. I like to try things in all my games now and again that I feel can pay off with some cool beans, but also that may bomb. "C" and his many hours of streams very well may not have prepared him to wing it to be honest. Me running games since I was around 13 years old serves me well, but those are years AND mileage. Sessions that sometimes were amazing, and now and again bombed. But yeah, all of C's hours, if they are anything like the bits I watched, were mostly him narrating things and talking as NPC's. Little in the way of action. There is this one girl in his vids, usually the one person appearing on camera, and to be honest to me she looks like she is in a hostage video. Never a smile. To me it's one problem with everybody running existing heroes in a long-established comic book world. You usually know what to expect. So yeah, in lot of ways maybe going through familiar motions. I do demand a bit more. Like this situation, with multiple opposing sides to deal with. And fairly gritty subject matter (I don't specifically mention sexual assault about these vigilantes' backgrounds, but since they are kind of based on 80's action tropes it one could take a guess). Maybe it was just too much. He can say "I'm neurodivergent!" as much as he wants, that does not tell us what is inside his head. I guess in a post that was already getting long, I left out that actually in our very first session he jumped into action.
ReplyDeleteIn the parking lot for the auditions thing, some characters were walking by some workout knuckleheads in the parking lot, Savio Totalpackage and his gang, and they bullied this Cyberpunk guy "Crash" who was not a fighter type. Ghost grabbed Savio away from Crash, and tried to phase him partially into a car frame. He got talked out of it by the Crash player because it could kill the guy. But C and his Ghost character clearly could jump into action and maybe even really hurt somebody. A crimefighter and potentially a very violent one.
In the later rooftop encounter, he did finally attack a gang member with his billy club but did not take him out with it, whom Malice immediately produced a sword and ran through. Ghost then attacked Malice who had Sturdy 2. But it took awhile to get to that point. I think there may have been a couple of things at that point. One, he actually was not a hard hitter. He put a lot of his points into he senses abilities. Maybe he was realizing that. Also, he was a lone player with the other players watching. Again, as a GM he ran tons of sessions for 4 or 5 people. But being a player is different, and you have less control. So maybe that helped cause anxiety. Again, my regret is I did not message a bit after and try to talk to him about it. I probably would have, but the constant declarations of "neurodivergent!" just made me worry I could make it worse.
And I will say this might have worked out better for the Paladin character. He won't go into more detail when I ask, but he is part of some ancient Christian based warrior society. Two religion-based foes may have been a perfect encounter for him. But he does not go out on patrol. C specifically did not have Ghost hang out at the offices after meeting because he wanted to go out on night patrol. He is the standard night prowling type.
All that said, I have not given up on Malice and Devota. They are still out there. In the next session I post on, the party goes up against their first opposing supergroup, and one is Count Carl, a vampire and monster hunter. I may have him come to Paladin at some point and ask for help to stop them (in that fight coming up Paladin actually took Count Carl down, so automatic history between them there even though Carl is not really a bad guy). The entire party can get involved, since a Rank 4 foe is involved.
So McGee, let me ask you this. I recall you have run a bunch of supers stuff. I forget the system, but did you ever have a character off on their own go off alone and get their own brief encounter? I ask, because I am sure most of us at least old school DnD guys have dealt with thieves going off to pick pockets or break into a house or whatever. But I do wonder if it goes on with other supers groups.
ReplyDelete@Mac Definitely have, although some systems handle that better than others when it comes to potential combat situations. With something like Champions it's fairly easy to tailor the opposition to a single hero, while Sentinel Comics relies more on teamwork to show off the better aspects of its combat and it's a little harder to hit a sweet spot in terms of appropriate (ie fun) challenge for a solo super. Systems like PBtA (eg Masks) make things even harder, since the dynamics of their fights depend a lot more on interactions with your teammates and "bystander" NPCs who may not be present in a solo fight.
DeleteActually prefer solo "side scenes" to lean more social and investigative, with any combat breaking out either being very quick by fiat or a die roll or two (beating down a lone mugger, for ex) or putting the scene on pause until at least some other players can get involved. A lot of supers have crazy mobility powers and can arrive as reinforcements in the blink of an eye, and if that doesn't suit having the lone hero show up where part or all of team is hanging out by being smashed through a wall or something is a good old comic trope.
Much like the solo thieving scenes you mentioned, it's fine to let a player or two have the spotlight for a while, but you don't want it to take too long. Most supers games have combat systems where you don't want most of the table shut out of the action for a serious full-blown fight, and a solo hero dealing with a bunch of foes is doing just that.
In your case, maybe having the "off-stage" players.take over running some of the NPCs would have been a better approach? Maybe not the big vigilante villains, but a few gangers each. That way everyone is at least a little invested, everyone gets to experience the mechanics of combat (and from different POVs) rather than just watching one player work through the exercise, and getting murdered by a vigilante even while you're wearing an NPC hat ought to stir at least a little wrath toward the baddies I assume you want the team to dislike.
Heck, if you're really lucky you might even have some of the players establish a quickie personality for their proxies that you could use later on. If that happens, make sure those are the ones that survive (perhaps with serious injuries) rather than catching a bullet with their brain. That sort of thing is campaign worldbuilding gold.
I guess overall supers games are much like any other RPG when it comes to "lone wolf" types. You should cater to them to reward initiative, but not at the expense of everyone else's engagement. Kept under control they can be a godsend, let loose too often and they become a problem. It's a tricky balancing act.
But supers PCs do tend to have more resources for both splitting the party and forming back up again than in most genres, so maybe the leashes can be a little looser?
As an aside, I find that mention of the player in one video looking like she's in a hostage vid interesting. It definitely isn't something unique to roleplaying games, because I've been watching a series of minis wargaming vids where the creator has been playing with his girlfriend and she seems to be doing so...unwillingly, let's say.
DeleteIt's very clear from some previous solo games he did that he doesn't really grasp the game very well (and it is not a difficult game, being one of those One Page Rules things). It's equally clear that she's better at that (and has a much better memory) but is playing along for whatever reason - she may well actually enjoy the game, inwhich case I hope she finds some better opponents to game with. It wouldn't be so bad but he spends an uncomfortable amount of time mansplaining to her, and usually he's either wrong about some detail or she's already shown she knew what he's going on about as well as he did, if not better.
Takes all kinds, but that just isn't my idea of a good time when it comes to gaming.