Friday, January 28, 2011

When NPC’s Chime In/Super NPC’s





When I was first introduced to D&D as a kid, and for years afterwards, it was very common for Dungeon Masters to use what has become known as the “Super NPC.” A classic example I can remember is from a game some dude ran at the Santa Monica Jewish Center on Santa Monica Blvd when I was in my mid-teens. Yes, that was kind of a trippy place for a catholic kid, but one of my D&D buddies at the time was Jewish and we often had games there on a Tuesday night. I was going there almost every week for a year at around the age of 14 to play. I had been to this pal’s Bat Mitzvah as well. Maybe these experiences are why I have such love for Israel and Yiddish people worldwide (I would run into this guy a few years later when I was going to some Society of Creative Anachronism events with a girlfriend of the time. He had been a good kid, but by then it was obvious he was growing up to be a grade-A dipshit; I hope D&D didn’t do that to him).

Anyway, one night an older guy, probably in his early 20’s, ran a game for us. I don’t remember the particulars of our characters, but I remember our asses getting kicked in the game. We ended up needing help, and helpful locals pointed us out to what was obviously a favored character of the DM’s that he was using as an NPC. That was as easy as it could happen. Mr. DM is winging it in a game, needs a strong character to save the day, and then *taadaaa* he just inserts one of his characters from some other DM’s game he’s played in into the mix. Oy vey!

In this case, it was some badass fighter with twin magic blades who could cast Haste on himself. I can recall our PC’s walking down the city street with this super-character, who was whirling his blades around at Haste speed and juggling them and generally showing off before the big fight. Some big fight. I think his guy mopped up the bad guys while our PC’s stood on the sidelines shouting “hooray” while doing a respectful golf clap.

I have to admit that I fell into this heavily in the 80’s. The very first character I rolled up as a kid, a ranger named Arcturus Grimm, was my first major NPC in my homebrew gameworld, and I still use him to this day. Although as a player character I probably had only gotten him up to around 5th or 6th level before he became a super-NPC in my world. But what with all his misadventures over the hundred years or so of game time that has gone by since around 1980 (no worries, he’s partly elf) he stands today, a ranger in the upper teens of level and on the verge of some kind of godhood (yeah, that is very high level for my world). I’ve used him quite a bit in the early portions of this current campaign, but only as an advisor really. He has some sons and daughters as NPC’s involved in the ongoing campaign shenanigans.

I could easily give a dozen examples of other favored super-NPC’s (one or two actually former characters like ol’ Arcturus), but the overall point to this is that I don’t use them so much anymore. I never really used them as in the example I gave about the DM at the Jewish Center, but I have toned down their general involvement. And after so many years, some have retired or disappeared altogether. After some bad experiences in the last couple of years, I am inclined even more to use them less.

Like when I went to a couple of Sunday Star Wars Saga sessions in Santa Monica (trying to little avail to get to know the rules so I could run for the infamous Hollywood Star Wars group). The GM, a 20 year old, pretty much just ran tactical combats with his super-NPC Jedi’s jumping in and doing most of the work. It really sucked.

The months later when I went to run KOTOR for an established group, the “lady” who was “in charge” was almost fanatically against NPC’s. She even talked about the young dude in Santa Monica’s use of NPC’s, which blew my mind (she knows somebody who went to one of his games). I said “no problem,” but I did have an NPC involved with the group as part of the ongoing adventure and I learned later that was one of many things that bugged her. Not that I care about what bugged the clueless dolt, but it did make me give some more thought about my use of NPC’s.

When player are having confabs as their characters, I have a bit of a habit of jumping into the conversation with an NPC (hey, the DM is supposed to have some role playing fun too, ya' know?). This is usually when there is information to give or it is just an appropriate time for them to speak, but I realized I was doing just a bit too much of it. I should be encouraging characters to speak more. Given, I only really have two players who really have conversations in character, with the others speaking up here and there. But I’m trying to lean more to letting it be the characters words that rule the day (good or bad).

So in our Night Below session last week, there was a point where a player or two were cooking up plans for another assault on The City of The Glass Pool, and rather than be a part of the conversations or have to hang on every word, I spent time doing other things. Looking in books, stepping outside, etc. Just listening to enough to catch good role play. It’s really only the DM’s job to react to what the players try to carry out, but in this case my distancing myself from the planning there were a few misunderstandings. So there needs to be a fine line. Me listening to important stuff, without feeling compelled to speak out as an NPC.

Now, I’ll readily admit that a lot of speaking up as NPC’s has come from a certain degree of my having to give information to move the game along. This group is kind of quick to action and short on understanding. They aren’t stupid, but I believe a “thinking man’s D&D” is not necessarily what they are after. They want combat and cool set-pieces to have it in. Hey, I can relate. As a player I like action over politics and making the proper decisions to move storylines along.

Also, for me, NPC’s have been an integral part of how I present my world. I’ve been using my homebrew game setting for going on 35 years , with well over a hundred years of game continuity. This is the gaming James over at Grognardia likes to speak of; starting with a tiny section of a game world and expanding from there. That was the beginning, like, 1978 for me. In the many years after that, I have expanded upon the gameworld big time, and I’m not just happy with that, I’m proud of it. I have a personal connection to my gameworld (and therefore to my own childhood) that I think is rare. My players can often feel that. So yeah, I take NPC’s seriously. If it is more than just an innkeeper or farmer the players will never see again, then it is an NPC worth investing in. But like I said, there needs to be a fine line when NPC’s are involved, so as not to gyp players out of character time. NPC’s should complement the character experience, not supplant it.

Should they just be extra muscle? The clichéd hirelings of old school D&D? Or should they be an integral part of the group sometimes. After all these years, this is still something I am trying to figure out.

6 comments:

  1. I am guilty of that myself in several games I have run. Yet, I have tried to pull it back as much as possible. There is one character I still pull out from time to time, a swashbuckler named Roberto Miguel DeSeville. He travels throughout the realms, from homebrew to published and back. Yet, he is not a hero at all, nor is he a villain. He is a comic foil that can lead the players into even more problems. I think that is one job of the NPCs to help give players the rope needed to hang themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tempted to do this with one of my favored PCs. I think will throw him in as a villain instead and let the players do him in for good. That should kill the urge.

    I've got a necromancer that would be good for that as well. Funny how my PCs fit bad-guy archtypes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to make NPCs characterful, useful, but not easily used, possibly helpful, but usually not particularly accomodating.

    I think every young DM inflicts a super npc on the game at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we both agree that the NPC that runs the show is kind of a pain in the butt. It's because he's on the high end of the NPC effectiveness and activity spectrums. I don't think it helps to have an NPC that's just high activity or just high effectiveness, because each is a problem.

    Likewise we don't want NPCs to be on the low end of activity or effectiveness. Even a dumb torch-carrier hireling should be tougher than a rat or a bat, and able to stab the occasional monster with his spear. And the NPC shouldn't just sit around doing literally nothing!

    So maybe something in the middle.

    I generally keep my NPCs fairly low in power and activity. This is for two main reasons I think:

    1: The NPC will have bad things happen to him. He might get caugth in a Fireball or a monster might decide to eat him in a fight. You can either treat him like any other component of the game world and let him die (chips fall where they may), or treat him like a precious and unique snowflake and keep him alive no matter what. The second is crappy. The first requires that the NPC isn't 20x as powerful as everything else, otherwise you've made him invulnerable by paperwork instead of by adjudication. Either way the NPC is a badass and will outshine the players.

    2: The players pay attention and enjoy the game if they have an impact on the game world. If they can make their own choices. Powerful NPCs prevent player impact and player choice. Often, too, powerful NPCs correlate strongly with a controlling DM so the players have little impact and choice in the game world. Not always, but often.

    I actually tend to make my NPCs weak I think. The Fighter baron of a frontier town may be only (in 2nd edition AD&D terms) 8th or 9th level, his troops only 1st and a single sergeant of 3rd. The average town guard is only 1st level with guard sergeants at 2nd and a captain of the watch at maybe 3rd or 4th. By the time you hit 15th you're into heroic epic territory, and by 20th you're a demigod.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if the players are 7th level and can Fireball the town, the town guards are still 1st level. It's because the town guards are NOT there to keep the PCs in check, they're there to protect the townsfolk and uphold the law. If some powerful wizard comes into town and starts killing peasants at random here and there, the town watch won't just walk up in a big 20' radius circle of muscle and spears to get Fireballed. They'll probably resort to negotiation first, and if that fails, ambush en masse with archers or something, spread out so a Fireball won't catch more than one or two. Should that fail, the government will just put out an ever-growing bounty on the wizard. Of course, people stop helping him, and eventually the bounty becomes lucrative enough to lure in adventurers who are of his level and can take him on. One dude walks up with Anti-Magic Shell and the others surround the wizard and beat him into paste. None of this requires making the town guards 7th level.

    This is also why it's important to make treasure appropriate to the monster. If the PCs hang around town too much they'll start to feel their oats and cause some trouble just because they can. But if the monsters and dungeons near town aren't giving up any worthwhile loot at their level, they'll pack up into the wilderness and find something better. Keep giving them level-appropriate stuff to do in town and they'll stay there forever. Putting the tougher, better adventures farther afield gives a natural reason for establishing a base camp and then a stronghold, eventually a town arond it, from which it would be pointless to steal or damage because you own the whole thing! At that point the PC has to contend with nasty little adventurers who like to wander by and start trouble ...

    I guess the point is that if we make NPCs super powerful the players will realize what it is: either we're being adversarial or we're tending a pet Mary Sue. Either way it's a little revolting, and expect revolts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NPCs are a huge part of the GM's toolbox.

    1. They can be used to fill in gaps in the party's weaknesses when players don't show up, if the party is chronically shorthanded, etc...

    2. They are the world so at some point players need to interact with them. It's not all cake to quote Spoon. They are the shopkeepers. They are the farmers. They are the millers. They are the wenches and barmaids!

    3. They are the cannonfooder. they are the hirerlings, but also, the loyal and unloyal henchmen who remember the deeds done to and for them by the players.

    NPCs should rarely fall into one generic bucket of use as they have many roles to fill.

    ReplyDelete