Monday, May 3, 2010

Taking off the DM hat (at least a little)



I always preferred GM’ing to being a player. From the mid-80’s through the late 90’s, I was the DM/GM 99% of the time and was the guy who would put the gaming group together. The last time I sat down as a player was around 1998 for a couple of times in some local folks GURPS games. I had no experience with GURPS, and there was nothing special about the games to make me a fan. With a GM who had no real talent and seemed to make it all up as he went along (“notes light” is fine, but I don’t trust any GM who doesn’t even have a notebook to refer to during the game), that didn’t last long for me. I re-resigned myself to GM’ing only.

When I put my current group together a couple of years ago, I had no intention of being a player in it. I had just taken around 6 years off from gaming, and I came back to it with a thousand ideas in my head, pent-up in me like sperm cells in a set of blue balls. Although one new player from last year clearly had joined us to try and get us to let him run his games (he wasn’t at his first game an hour before he started inquiring about anybody wanting to play in his 3.0 D&D – what cajones on the dude), my other players have been happy to go player only.

But since getting involved in the online gaming community the other year, I have started to have a little bit of a hankering to sit down as a player (and it’d be nice to sit down – I run our weeknight games standing up the entire time). Not out of a great love of playing a character. Outside of doing the occasional Champions or Call of Cthulhu campaign, my first and greatest love is my AD&D world setting. I started it out at around age 14 towards the end of the 70’s. It has grown and expanded over the decades, and has seen the coming and going of hundreds of player characters. My love and attachment to it has kept my away from various Forgotten Realms and Grewhawks and Blackmoors since day one (well, I did dabble a good bit in the City State of the Invincible Overlord setting around 1981).

But I feel that perhaps not being a player in D&D has made me jaded, and maybe even a bit out of touch. So I have wanted to get a little player time in, and one of our newer players has offered to step up when I feel like having a little break from DM’ing, or when an important player cancels and I don’t want to do one of my alternates. I plan on wrapping up my Night Below campaign (at least the first half of it) by late July, and I may not want to jump right into DM’ing another campaign. So I’ll need a break at some point.

I had planned for a rare weekend session this coming Saturday, but with a crucial player not being able to make it, and me not wanting to do an extra long Mutant Future alternative (we are doing that Wed night this week) I gave Ben the go ahead to get a game ready for us. I think he is pretty excited about it.

Ben started with us around late fall of last year, and he is an excellent player. He knows 1st edition well, and that is a plus. I actually would like to lose a few of my less necessary house rules and go a bit more by the book when I do my next campaign, and Ben wanting to go by the book for his games will give me a chance to re-familiarize myself with rules I haven’t used as-is in decades (if ever).

So I am looking forward to coming up with a player character for the first time in forever, and about blogging about my player experiences rather than just my GM joys n’ headaches. Ben wants to make it elf-centric (he runs a high elf in my game, so he obviously has an elf fixation), so I think I’ll do up a rakish half-elf Fighter/MU.

8 comments:

  1. Have a great time! I find that splitting my time between GMing and playing has been very educational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I wouldn't be too hard on GURPS. It's just a tool kit. Heck, at it's most basic, it's just a mechanic. Roll under your skill on 3d6, that skill rating being derived from a stat. In the hands of a good GM, you can have a lot of fun. We used it for years as our go to fantasy system because we liked the gritty combat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting to me. Because I really like being DM, but sometimes I wonder if it's because I am not satisfied with the DMs I've been a player under.

    So, do you really enjoy the process of creating for players, or do you think you'd be really happy as a player if you found a great, trustworthy DM?

    ps. I find I stand the whole time I DM-- moving, gesticulating, doing my utmost to draw people in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After spending the better part of the last 18 years I've been gaming as the DM, I find that I'm usually restless and unsatisfied as a player. For one thing, I can never create a character I am satisfied with, and often find myself rolling up "back up" characters that I prefer to my actual character.
    It is usually not an insurmountable problem if I am running a game some other day of the week, but if I'm "between" campaigns, I find that my restlessness almost prevents me from enjoying it.

    Good luck taking your hat off for a bit. Let us know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with being a player. Out of my group I usually GM the least. I tend to test and expand their worlds. I usually ask the GM what they might want to go into more depth in their world, say a religious order of some battle god, so I make up a cleric/priest/monk what ever suits the bill and go exploring in their world. The fun part is watching the GM keep up and develop the finer details of that particular group, class, or race. Just adds another element of interest for me as a player and assists the GM at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christian: I was going over some old emails in my "gamer" file yesterday, and saw some mails when I was going to be trying to get in on your L. Lord games from just over a year ago. Time flies, don't it? Anyway, looks like I'm going to finally get to play something.
    Gurps was very similar to Hero System/Champions that I played. So...I stuck with Champions.
    TeleC: I prefer dreaming up scenarios and expanding my game world. Yeah, I have not been happy with any game I played in since around 1983.
    Ryan: I generally experience what you have as far as being unsatisfied. I spend a lot of time worrying about if I should try to come up with some wild, "out there" entertaining character - but then worry that I should be more subtle and let the others shine because I usually DM. It'll be weird, but I'm hoping I'll enjoy it, and be able to sit back and enjoy the other characters.
    Tim: Test and expand the world for the DM. I like that. I could use more attitudes like that from my players. Something for ME for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I started as a player, I quickly moved to DMing and lately have DMed more than not.

    But some of my fondest memories of the game are those early player memories. I still seek those out. Sadly, I'm often disappointed. I'm a critic of my own DMing of course (neurotically so!) but I've left plenty of campaigns for various "DMing sins." They still run games though, so it's likely just me. I have been impressed with DMs at Cons so I'm not a complete hater, or the things that annoy me don't come up until a full campaign gets going.

    Lately though our C&C/Yggsburgh/Zagyg/Greyhawk sandbox is being co-DMed and I'm really enjoying it. It might be the relationship I have with the co-DM: we've had several beer sessions talking about the way we wanted to run this campaign. But another player has taken a turn (it's actually pretty easy to designate a level of a megadungeon or a geographic locale as another DM's territory) and so does another.

    ReplyDelete