Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cthulhu and Hot Chicks


Naw, that isn't the newest supplement to Carcosa. Great looking girls mixing it up with monsters from beyond the stars? Hey, beautiful women go with anything.

Like most of you I come across tons of great fantasy art online, a lot of it anonymous. I'm not usually compelled to share, but as an old time Call of Cthulhu GM this one stuck out at me.

With weird fantasy art featuring women, many times you say to yourself "OK, what the hell is going on here?" This is one of those that have you trying to figure it out. An almost elfin, long-legged young girl, partially covered in clean bandages, steps over a giant tentacle that extends from the Great Old One in the background. To just say it is hallucination is way to easy.

So what's up? Is she a previously wounded, now-insane adventurer who escapes from Arkham to be with her one true, octopoid love? OK, kind of a stretch, and a little too sexy/disgusting. How about she's an unusally rare form that Nyarlothotep has taken - he will appear as a human appealing to the eyes, no (and, usually some Egyptian motif, right, like mummy bandages)?
I guess we maybe have to call it a scene from the dreamlands, where she might be a lovely sorceress/siren who calls on the power of The Sleeping One to combat her enemies. Hmmm...maybe it is Carcosa after all.

4 comments:

  1. One is thankful that Luis Royo didn't do the above rendering. That'd require all sorts of SAN checks to walk away from unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out David Hartman's site: http://www.sideshowmonkey.com/

    Lots of pretty girls and scary monsters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pic makes me want to run or play Call of Cthulhu again.

    Unfortunately, the only CoC gamers I know of are Lovecraft purists, history purists, or both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...checking out both Royo and Hartman and I'm digging their stuff. Girls and monsters - very 50's pulp in many ways

    myrystyr: In the 90's, the salad days of my CoC campaigns, I was kind of lucky to have players who were mostly unfamiliar with Lovecraft. I got to pretty much go in any direction I wanted with it (a bit more guns and heroics)with no complaints. I might not have fared so well with Lovecraft experts.

    ReplyDelete