Friday, June 19, 2009

Bomb, Will Ferrell, bomb...


The other week I posted about my remorse at a joke remake of the beloved childhood show that introduced me to my first pocket universe, and to a little blonde, knife-wielding dolly named "Holly" (who was my age when the show was on air and was maybe my first crush).

Written by some modern Sci Fi greats (and even Mr. Chekov got a writing cred), the show was years ahead of it's time (despite the cheesy FX).

Well, revenge is sweet. Unlike most of his mindless drek (I found Will funny on SNL, but not really anywhere else) movies, LOTL bombed big time. As of today, it has yet to scrape the 40 million mark. It cost 120 million to make. What can I say but "Ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee."

The sad part is that now I am maybe not going to see a true homage to the great show in my lifetime. But who knows? After Ang Lee Hulk film bombed, they did another (somewhat better)one a few years later. So I will hold out hope. Maybe Dreamworks can come along and save this classic property.

4 comments:

  1. I can only hope you're right.

    I'd still like to see it, if only to revisit the sleestaks of my youth. And I find Will Ferrel darm amusing.

    Why O why did they have to combine the two...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Childhood shows are sacred. I'll probably watch the movie. Nice banner by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JB: I think Ferrel would have made a great "dad" for a well-done adaptation of the series. Toss in Dakota Fanning for Holly, and a generic teen male heartthrob for the son, and you are well on your way to a hit movie about the show.

    No problem with humor, but the groundbreaking Sci Fi concepts deserve a serious film adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way: I saw the movie Monday afternoon. Here's my thoughts on it:

    http://bxblackrazor.blogspot.com/2009/06/this-one-goes-out-to-demogorgon.html

    Yeah, I've got a link back to this post....
    : )

    ReplyDelete