Monday, April 5, 2010

Ah, the contents of my game bag...

DM's guide, PHB, Monster Manual 1 and 2, Fiend Folio. Don't usually dig deep into FF or MM 2 in most games, only when I am running something with monsters specifically out of those (like doing The Night Below setting right now and it's chock full of kinds of Corbies and Hookies and Quaggies, etc.-ie), and more often than not those stay at home).

I use Unearthed Arcana mostly for extra spells, so that is usually in the book bag. I let a non-evil Drow character get created out of it the other year (and let her be raised by druids), and she is working out pretty good, if not a bit powerful. For the next campaign I am unlikely to let somebody get a character (or drow) out of it unless I know they don't have a powergamer molecule in their body.

I love the Old School Encounter Reference Guide, and try to always have that along in the bag as well. I'm trying to teach myself to love random charts and lists again, and it is easily the most handy non-rules item for 1st ed. or lower that I have ever had for any price.

Current game notebook (and as much previous notebooks as I can fit).

Wet erase pens for the hex mat? Check.
Dice? Check
Pens? Check (amazing how often I forget to have my own writing pens)
Trip Ticket/Character rosters? Check

Uh oh, don’t forget the minis (in a separate tackle box).

Quick "safety meeting" out back with the Strawberry Cough, crack open that 12 pack of beer or Ale, and GAME ON!

4 comments:

  1. :) So you think your state's gonna legalize it soon? I read that the proposition is officially on the ballot now - ironically, in an article about how there's a lot of people in Humboldt whining about how it's going to kill the local economy! Considering the ease of getting a prescription for it, it's more or less legal already I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bulette: I hope so, if for any other reason than it will be less stigmatized as a drug as bad as heroin or as a gateway drug. I do think they should legalize it and declare it legal only for 21 and older (and under 21 should need a parent to go with them to a dispensary) like booze.

    Of course, that isn't really what I meant by my game "bag" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assumed it was what you meant by Strawberry Cough. Is that a regular term? I recall it from a movie where people weren't being born anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1d30: Yeah, ha ha, Children of Men. It is a strain that actually produces a strawberry taste when you smoke it and cough. I only got it a couple of times around the time I wrote this post.

    Now, the Pineapple Express...

    ReplyDelete