Thursday, April 7, 2011

Campaigns End





Well, there you have it. Last night we finished up my Night Below campaign. At a bit over two years in duration, it is surely the longest campaign I have ever run. It was cause to party, and I was sucking down the brewskies with the satisfaction of a long run concluded.

No combat went down in the session, although towards the end during the final treasure shares, Krysantha the Drow and Vaidno the Bard seemed prepared to whip out there weapons and throw down, specifically over what to do with the Crown of Derro Domination. That would have been cool; finally a character death, at the hands of another character no less. But they managed to table further discussion on it and leave it with Vaidno for now. I have to say, it was really nice to relax and watch the characters, more vocal with each other than ever, pretty much take the ball and run with it. Some great role-playing went down.

Back at the surface and cleaned up, the characters were taken before the Queen of Tanmoor, Libertine, who had secretly come to town with some royal guards to see what all the fuss and kidnappings were all about. Meeting with the characters and hearing their story, she gave them modest rewards, and each a Royal Medal of Valor.

The group all went to Terry’s long-time hobbit character’s castle on the border of the Halfling lands for a party in their honor, with all kind of food, kegs of ale and wine of the finest hobbit make, and musical revelry. Lumarin the high elf MU amused himself by giving Terry’s hobbit’s children Tenser’s Floating disk rides in lieu of a pony.

Although rolling in dough from the adventures (I think most characters ended up each with somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 thousand golds worth treasure, not counting magic items), nobody is truly rich, so there will be plenty of reason for them to set out and adventure again in the future. I have a couple of high level modules in mind I might like to use on them.

But for now, the characters can go on with their normal above ground lives. Vaidno can go visit the tower the Deck of Many Things provided him (along with his 18 charisma), and Terry’s fighter Helena can marry the NPC soldier she got hooked up with in the course of the adventures . What the others will do, time will tell. But all characters have earned a deserved time of rest in the sunlight of the surface world.

Considering that three years ago I was on year 4 or so of gaming retirement (and dying to run games), I consider myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to run a fairly intense and complex campaign for such a great group of players. Most of our games were like little parties, and were big fun. I want to give special thanks to Andy for hosting us at his place; his wife’s backroom workshop (thanks to Andy’s wife Kara are in order as well) which, with its kitchen and nice garden backyard patio, was a nice place to play. For Andy, Terry, and Dan who have been there pretty much since the inception of this group over two years ago, I give wide thanks for being there for the whole ride.

Andy and the wife are probably going to be renting out the back room at some point in the near future, so we are losing the space to play most likely. Our best bet after that for our regular games would have been Dan’s spacious house up on Mulholland Drive, but he is still having construction done on the house and his wife is apparently days away from having her baby. So the games I run may lessen for awhile. A break might be nice, but I’m hoping to put AD&D aside for awhile and do a little of the Knights of the Old Republic thing I want to run. Some more Champions would be nice with just three or four players, and you know I’ve always got my precious Call of Cthulhu in the back of my mind, waiting for the right time to strike from the shadows. Game dreams and hopes galore.

But whatever happens in the near or far future, I’m just damn glad to have been able to run a long and fulfilling campaign. Here’s to more gaming goodness to come! “Excelsior,” as that old bastard Stan “The Man” Lee would say.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I've only ever finished one campaign before, start to finish. It's an amazing thing, that sense of accomplishment that comes with completion. Kudos, and many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the games I've run never came to a real conclusive end... just petered out due to people moving, schedules changing, graduations, etc. It's really cool that you have a sense of completion to your campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! As a GM, I've only seen a campaign through to its conclusion once -- it was Horror on the Orient Express -- but it's a special kind of feeling, an odd mixture of relief and sadness. I'm sure you won't be idle for long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It's a VERY long campaign. A colleague of mine has begun recently to DM it, I hope he's as lucky as you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, treasure the good feeling it sounds well earned.

    Cheers,
    Blaise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, treasure the feeling it sounds well earned.

    Cheers,
    Blaise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. I'll miss reading your AD&D campaign recaps. Here's hoping to some future good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sir -

    I started following the 'OSR' community just a few months ago, and have occasionally followed links to your blog. I only recently realized that you've been running Night Below, and haven't gone back to check the progress of the campaign.

    Back in grade school, I was the DM for my friends, and the last campaign I ever ran used Night Below. It was a heavily-accelerated campaign, since we were teenagers (both because we had more time, and because we were probably slapdashedly-powergaming through it all), but over the course of eighteen months or so, we managed to get through the whole monstrous thing - the climax of the campaign happened the summer after graduation, one week before my best friend at the time moved out of the state.

    I have a lot of great memories associated with this campaign. Thank you very much for reminding me of it, and congrats on a long and (hopefully) rewarding campaign.

    ReplyDelete