Wednesday, August 17, 2011

“Don’t Drink and Game”





Obviously if you’ve read a few of my posts from a year or so ago, you know that I am no stranger to “mind altering substances” at game time. With my love of brewed liquids (and I ain’t talking coffee and tea), the title of this post is obviously a ruse. These days I enjoy several ales during the games I run, with Bass Ale, Fat Tire Ale, and Blue Moon being current favorites (all usually on sale in 12 packs at your local Rite Aid store). I know this sounds like a lot to you, but I am over 6’2”, currently built like a Samoan, and for sure ain’t no momma’s boy Sunday drive drinker. Although I have cut down lately so I can chop down that Samoan build 5 or 50 lbs, my years of practice give me a certain amount of tolerance. And for sure when driving from a session I’ll knock it off around an hour and a half before ending the game (I privately refer to this as “Engine Cooldown Period”), and often take a walk a few blocks to shake the mist out of my melon. Maybe grab a vitamin water at the local market before heading back to the car.

Almost everybody in the group but Big Ben (total tea totaler – although now that I think of it I don’t think he even drinks tea) enjoys a few drinks. Dan Dan the Power Game Man almost always has a sixer of Rolling Rock he’ll suck down 5 of. Andy, fairly slight of build, like 2 or 3 ales. And little Ben often has a tall can of something. Paul is not much of a drinker, but a couple of times has brought along a few Jack Daniels Lemonades. Our lady player Terry likes a couple of ales as well.

And as you may know from past posts some of us like to smoke a bit of the pipeweed before the game and maybe during a break. The fact is I would probably do this more, but during the game sometimes if I step out on the patio for a quick inhale Dan will come running out thinking it’s a chance for a cigarette break, and this can cause all the other little penguins to come waddling out to see what the fuss is and take part in whatever substance they prefer. But for the most part I would not say that anything is getting used in excess. If I am getting a ride, I might drink an ale or two more, but nothing crazy or shameful.

So sometimes I think about gaming, and how for the most part my experiences outside of the group have been fairly sober. When I was running KOTOR sessions for an established group of middle aged Star Wars dorks in Hollywood the other year, it seemed like at least one of them was a beer drinker but did not do it at the table. So I ran those sessions, that were already treated like I was working for these guys, stone cold sober. And that was one place I really felt I could use a few drinkypoos, being surrounded by what amounted to very weird and ultimately unfriendly creeps. At another session I went to last year, the host made it very clear to anybody that was playing that no substances, alcohol included, would be tolerated. And hell, in that case, being a fairly mellow and happy drinker (much nicer guy than sober me) things might have worked out differently if I had had a couple of belts when something unpleasant and unfriendly ended up going down. I just might not have walked out of that game less than an hour into it, which I don’t think any DM worth his salt wants a player to do.

I’ve had a couple of nice drinky games outside the main group the last year or so though. At last year’s Socal Smackdown con I had brought a little cooler with some beers in to get me through the session, and Cyclopeatron who was in attendance even hit me up with a nice rum and coke from the hotel bar. And earlier this year Cyclo organized a little pub game in Anaheim (or was it Fullerton?) with me and Trent Foster running our early sessions, and I had quite a few pints in that one (full tab for me and my driver Terry’s drinks? 90 bucks).

But one of my attendees at the Smackdown Session, Gary his name was I think, asked me to run some sessions at his place for some people in the future, but that no drinking of any kind would be tolerated. Needless to say, those games never panned out.

What is it with the drinking hate among many gamers? This is not a new phenomenon. In the 90’s, when I was running games for a group of mostly women in the latter part of it, those were some smoke and tequila soaked gaming. But each and every person there parties. And not falling down drinking. They were several hour weekend sessions, and we would do a shot and a toast from time to time. Well ok, I was putting beer in that mix too, but I lived a 15 minute stagger away so no big woop if I was feeling pretty wet on the brain by the end of the session. Hell, I was a much younger man then. But I also remember going to some games in the area on a Friday night some guy was hosting in the late 90’s. . These were terrible games, with a GM who kept no notebooks and totally made things up, badly as he went along. But I stuck with it because I think I was low on players at that time and was sort of trolling one player he had who I felt was a right fit for my group. But by game two I was bringing a six pack along to dull the pain and boredom. A couple of games later I was alone with the host working on some GURPS character for another game, and when talking about drawbacks for a character, disabilities or whatever they called them in that system, he made a big point of telling me alcoholism would be considered a weakness, and that he personally was creeped out by it. Ah, I see. My sixer on a Friday night habit was freaking the boring little douche out. I think I was done with that group at that point.

What do this people think is going to happen? Am I, or anybody else who wants a few refreshing adult beverages, some kind of old west Indian savages who will go nuts and kill the whole family if we get our hands on firewater? What’s the deal with that?

You only have to read a few threads on Dragonsfoot or RPG.net to see that there are drinkers out there in the game community. But that seems to be not the norm, and for the most part gamers are some kind of dorkish prudes who see it as evil. They probably would even see drinking half a Near Beer as some kind of pathetic persons personal struggle with Satan. I don’t get it. If you have kids, then I understand not wanting smoking to go on around your property. But a few beers? What is the real harm? Would these people see prohibition come back to save all the poor sick souls who enjoy a handful of suds during a several hour sit down were pretending and mind expanding seem to go hand in hand?

I myself would not want to run a game on mushrooms or acid or have players doing so, but I think that is a far cry from a little alcohol. Nobody is going to come to your game, have a few drinks, and wreck the place. They aren’t going to offer any to your kids (if you have kids why are you having weird strangers over to your place anyway?). What the hell is the real harm here? Stick up the ass may be the best explanation I can come up with for each and every time I have encountered anti-drinkers in the gaming scene.

15 comments:

  1. Only started drinking relatively recently. With two youn kids, I found that it helped me loosen up before the session and get into the right mood. For our sillier games, I usually put down 2-3 beers over th course of the session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinking something is almost a requirement at my games, if at all possible. At least for me. If I could find a gamer friendly bar I'd be in heaven. Even better if you can work the real life drinking into the character drinking in the game. Best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really able to deal with what alcohol does to my system, but if everyone else is having fun and is not disruptive, I'm cool with their drinking. Nuff said. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My high school group pretty much defined itself by its lack of substance use of any kind and that's pretty much stuck -- one member took it upon herself recently to lecture another about how she shouldn't be drinking at all given one of the medications she was on, no matter what her doctor said about it being okay to drink occasionally. So yeah, I definitely have that association between gamer == anti-alcohol. In that case I think it's a mix of general self-righteousness and a feeling that drinking is something that those awful party-going people do because they don't have anything better to entertain themselves with.

    Me, I like a few (good) drinks when I'm gaming. I'd like most alcoholic beverages even if they weren't alcoholic -- fermentation is generally an excellent thing -- and it helps me loosen up a bit which is important in social situations sometimes. Plus, being a beer snob is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We play every week in my junky garage. One of the main reasons is that I've turned it into a junky bar! Our table is adjacent to the bar and you can easily get up and fill your glass with one of three homebrews on tap, or some commercial beers in the fridge. As long as I keep it in the mid-range, drinking some beer helps me get in the groove, I think. Too much and I get sloppy (DMing), though.
    I certainly enjoyed the Olde Ship session we had, so much so that I had to stick around afterward for a while. Luckily, Cyclo let me sit in on his Gamma World game until I sobered up.

    Here's a pick of the barage: http://brassmonkeybrewpub.blogspot.com/2010/05/garage-bar-is-fully-functional.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing wrong with being a little woozy while gaming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think part of the problem is that those of us who started as snot-nosed kids playing at our parents' kitchen tables never developed the proper habits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I stated in the poll thread on DF (which by the way I don't take as particularly representative), there are compelling reasons why I don't drink... and that sometimes I will actually have a drink.

    Are there a lot of non-drinkers in gaming? To my knowledge, yes, it does seem to come down to a choice between one activity or the other... but that doesn't make them active anti-drinkers, any more than being a non-gaming drinker makes someone a game-hater, if you see what I mean.

    The oldest gaming club in town is (last time I read the club constitution) required by law not to serve alcohol or allow it to be consumed on the premises. It is however situated next to a pub, so the gamers that do drink pop out between games.

    And, yes, I do get far more "what kind of weirdo are you" looks out of people for not drinking than I do for gaming ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy some adult beverages when I game, especially when I'm GMing in my own home. My choice of beer sometimes is influenced by what game I'm running or specific plans for a session.

    I've had friends host drinking friendly games and no-drinking games. Either way I'm fine, I figure your house, your rules and I don't have to be medicated to have fun (and to be honest on away games where I can drink I only have a few).

    The rules for no-drinking games have varied, but it seems most often to be because someone in the past hasn't handled their liquor well.

    Oh, and my beer of choice for running Firefly - Xingu. It just sounds like something you could get of Persephone or Sinhon (yes, I know it's Brazilian).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I AGREE!!!!!1 IN MY VERY FIRST CAMPAIN WE HAD ARULE THAT WHEN
    YOU
    DRINK IN P. CHARACTAR YOU HAVE A DRIN K IN REALLIFE. WE ALSO HAVE A RULE THAT IF YOU FIGHT IN GAME, YOU HAVE A FIGHT IN REALLIFE.

    THAT CAMPAIN END AFTER ONE-HALFA SESSION AND FOR THE NEXT ONE WE SAID OK, STILL DRINK IN REALLIFE IF YOU TAKE A DRANK AND BUT IF YOU GET A CHARACTAR FIGHT DONT FIGHT IN REALLIFE JUST DRANK SOME MORE, AND THAT SEEMED TO BE THE RIGHT BALENCE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfectly shotgunned beer, a rum and coke and/or a handful of shrooms make everything groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oddysey: I never used to be a beer snob, and actually takes smack when I encountered a snob. But then I started getting more into ale a couple years ago or so (mostly due to those great Rite Aid 12 pack prices) and have sort of turned into one. I can still enjoy an ice cold, refreshing Budweiser (my friends call them "Macweisers" when I'm drinking them).

    Joe: Almost all of my characters and NPC's are drinkers. Even my recent Monk character loves whiskey.

    Jeff: as a kid or older I kept my gaming as far away as my parents as possible. I was at my dad's soccer games as a 10 year old getting sips off my dad's beers, so I got kind of an early start. But I wasn't actually drinking at games until I was around 20.

    myrystyr: I get a lot of ideas for posts from posts on DF, including this one. I hope whoever put that they use heroin during games on the poll were kidding, because that creeps even me out.

    Oz: I'll see if I can find that beer to try it. Maybe Whole Foods has it, then having and incredible selection of foreign beers and mircobrews.

    joesky: I think my fighting days are pretty much over (I hope), but may my drinking days never end! Ouch...my...my chest kind of hurts today. Aw, I'm sure it's nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drinking vs gaming:
    In my first years of gaming (age 14-16), we drank only Coke and such, as most of my fellow players were non-drinker. (My family has it's own grape-land and wine cellar, so moderate drinking, like having a glass of red wine before every meal is family habit :))
    Later we usually partied after the game sessions (gaming: 14.00-20.00, partying: 20.30 - next morning), so drinking during games would end in short parties.
    During high school i was organsing a Live Action Vampire: the Masquerade game, which took place at nigth. Drinking was allowed as long as the player's "intoxication" didn't influence the game. Occasionally drunk players were asked to cease gaming for that night and their characters were unavailable for other characters. The player was allowed to stay in the gaming area if he/she could behave him/herself.
    After the game, usually around 3.00 in the morning, the most hardcore gamers (usually refered as the "Elder's Circle") went to a 24/7 pub to wait for the morning train/bus, have some more drinks and continue playing.

    A decent D&D party got togather from this Vampire group, with nicely done and well played characters. Unfortunatelly, once we had played in our basement (next to the wine cellar...) and drank to much wine, which resulted in the following:
    DM: "Ze orcss 're oming up on the ztairz, roll init!"
    Me (dwarf fighter with 3hp): "I charge!"
    Other player (human rogue): "I charge to!"
    It was TPK for the end of the first combat round. It was fun in a way, but when we got sober the next morning, we were a bit sad about it.
    After the "stair-incident" as it was referred to, drinking was prohibited from the tabletop gaming, but continued in the Vampire game without problems.

    We we started to play D&D regurarly again a few years later, there were no rules about drinking: Everyone can drink if he wants, but it's your responsibility. As some of us meets the others only on these occasions, there are drinking in the games, but it caused no problems.

    Children vs Gaming:
    After the birth of my daughter, my wife asked my party to play in our house every time (we play a full saturday afternoon and evening once a month). In that way, if she needs any help, I'm near and she can bring down the baby to the basement (where we play) when we have smoking brakes for the two smokers. But to be honest, my group consist of people playing togather for 15-20 years, so there are no 'silly strangers' around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a point of correction. I usually drink four beers in a gaming night. And sometimes I polish off whatever's sitting around at the end of the game as I'm cleaning up.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I drink bourbon extensively while gaming. A weekend session I will add bottom shelf beers. When gaming in a game store (something I try not to do) I bring a flask.

    If someone wanted to run a dry game I wouldn't play.

    ReplyDelete