Wednesday, November 25, 2009

You’d GM it if you could (but probably never will)

Since the 80’s, I’ve always tried to have an alternate game to do for my D&D groups whenever I was feeling a little burnt out, or if a player important to the current scenario was missing. From the late 80’s until the late 90’s, my usual alternative would be either Champions (my long-running setting was based heavily on Superhero 2044), or Call of Cthulhu. Both genres originally would meet with resistance by the group (they never burnt out on my D&D), but after a couple games under their belts my players would often request an alternative session.

After several years off from gaming, I have had this new group going strong for over a year now. At a time of year where it is easy for players to miss a game due to end of the year obligations, it is more important than ever for me to introduce an alternative game. Something that we can do if only three players can make it (I like at least four players for the D&D session, but three is ok for most other stuff).
For months I have been putting thought to this. For the most part, I don’t feel like putting all the prep into Cthulhu like I used to do. My Champions setting is something I would like to rekindle, with my only consideration being that we play for only around three hours on a Wednesday night. Many simple combat scenarios can take more than three hours with Champs.

Having remembered the great times running Gamma World and Metamorphosis Alpha when I was a kid, I have also been tossing around the thought of doing Met. Alpha using the Mutant Future rules.

So last week I got together with a couple of my players (the ones most into doing an alternative genre) over a few beers, to work on characters for both Champions and Mutant Future just to see how we feel. Both players came up with mutants (a human and a plant), and the results of their random mutation rolls really brought back the old fun of those old mutant games. Both characters ended up with one really crippling bad mutation, but the others were so good they wanted to use the characters as is (the plant got the faster aging mutation, but also got the three dice of acid blood damage mutation – nice. The human mutant got the slow action mutation, but also got the disintegration and teleportation powers).

Then we really got to work on the Champs characters (oh, the crunch) and there were some good ideas there as well. A street level game is what I want to go for at first. Andy came up with a chop socky Hong Kong cop, and Paul (a fairly new player to the group) dreamed up a two-fisted chemist who carried special attack vials of chemicals (web, acid, smoke screen) and knew Savate (French kick-boxing.)


So the alternative will for sure be Champs or Mutant Future based mostly on great characters getting created, maybe both. But this has me thinking about the games and settings I have wanted to do for a long time, but probably never will. Maybe one day I will game more, and on the weekends, but twice a month on a Wednesday night isn’t exactly conducive to lots of experimenting. And with at least a couple of my players not wanting to play if it isn’t my D&D, these alternatives will always be the least priority in what we do.

But here are the ones I’d like to do if I could, but may actually never get the chance:

DUNE – I never really could get into the book when I was younger, but I always got a kick out of the David Lynch film. Several years ago I suddenly got into a Dune phase. I watched the directors cut of the film, and went right out and got the book. With the film setting up some of the locales and themes in simpler form, I was able to enjoy the nuances of the book more. I even read the two or three sequels that followed. Then I logged in countless hours on the Dune 2000 video game. It was around that time I got a real hankering to GM a game in the Dune setting. With no official game releases on this, I probably would have used the Hero system . With players running mentats, pilots, warriors, etc. I would have adventures across the planets of the empire and finally to Arakis itself. Whenever I mention wanting to do a Dune game to my players, it usually goes over like a lead balloon. So I guess this one shall remain a dream unfulfilled.

RUNEQUEST – I played this more than I ran it as a kid, but I loved it. I always dug the simple elegance of the Chaosium basic role playing system, and the mythical, ancient Greece styled setting was a great break from our D&D games that were going strong at the time. With most of my current players preferring the pulp fantasy of D&D, this one shall likely remain a dream as well.

TRAVELLER – another great game from my youth. Like Runequest I played more than I GM’d back in the day. At Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica, where I hung out as a kid, this was a heavily played game, much more than D&D. I also really loved the Dumarest novels by E.C. Chubb as a kid, a major influence on Traveller even thought it doesn’t get enough of that credit. Although I’m not a fan of the whimsy of the character creation process, and that I think there could be more character development as games progress, I really would love to do a straight Sci Fi game with little or no fantasy elements.

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC – I loved the video game on XBOX so much it made me want to run games in that setting, despite not being a hard core Star Wars geek. KOTOR is so removed from the yammering muppets, mincing droids, and lame humor of Sir George’s works, it really shines as a separate, more mature section of the SW multiverse. I actually got the chance to run several games for an established Star Wars gaming group recently, and despite that not working out the way I would have liked, I would love to spring this on my regular group. Problem is, they ain’t exactly hard core Star Wars geektards either. Long live Jar Jar (not).

BUNNIES & BURROWS – Even though I sold my first edition of this 1970’s game on Ebay a few years ago (sniff), I would love to run a small campaign of this Watership Down inspired old school RPG. I think I would find an alternative sytem to use for the character types (maybe Chaosium’s basic role playing) as presented in the original game, but I would really love to see how game play would pan out. Just going out in the field to look for truffles is a huge danger to these characters. So tense, furtive gameplay would be the order of the day. Yep, another lead balloon for my players. I don’t think they would buy my pitch.

So, those are some of mine. What kind of game would you like to GM, but probably never will?

8 comments:

  1. I'll echo Dune (and I have the Last Unicorn book!) and the Chaosium/AH RuneQuest. I've never had a group that has any interest (admittedly, RQ might be my fault, as I want to run based on "Land of the Ninja", not Glorantha). Two old favorites to this day are still DragonQuest and The Fantasy Trip, but some version of D&D remains the default. One of my goals for next year is to try to make sure I don't have to add Hollow Earth Expedition to the list, but right now I think we're all too anxious to get the new Doctor Who into our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm up for a game of B&B, why not, but not sure why! Could be fun, I'd be interested in how a session would actually play out. I think I saw it up on Scribd a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hollow Earth Expeditions...maybe Over The Edge (this is for an alternative, one-off game right?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many simple combat scenarios can take more than three hours with Champs.

    Ye gods, how I don't miss HERO. I played nothing but for a few years and kept telling myself that I should be liking it because it was more realistic or something (this was the late 80's). But man--combat was torture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, as often as I played Champions in the late '80s, I would often zone out during the combats. It just didn't GO anywhere.

    As for games I'd like to run but don't know if I ever will, Gamma World comes to mind--I've been wondering whether to spring it on my new players and find out what happens.

    May as well try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to play Star Frontiers again. I always thought it was a fun, easy to manage game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert: Yeah, so many games, so little time..

    JB: naw, I'm not really a "one night stand" type of guy. I'd want to have at least a short (6-10 games) campaign of the Mutant Future. Champs is easy for one-off games if you do superheroes. Just have a villain going nuts in a crowded mall, and let the heroes come rolling in from all directions.

    Matt: Even worse with Champs, in the 90's we usually played at a girls house who was a total stoner and tequila drinker. Long combats with that system don't really mix with polluted GM's/Players.

    Jayson: go for it man. The fun and laughs start right off the bat when the mutant characters get rolled up. I'm really looking forward to seeing how my players freaky mutants pan out in game play. My Gamma World games of old were so long ago, I just don't recall too many detail, but I know it was good, low maintenance fun.

    Chris: I know Star Frontiers has been out there a long time, but it's one of the games I never actually looked at. Again, so many games out there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. While we all have pet projects and ideas for games we'd love to run but haven't yet, I can honestly say I don't really have any 'I probably never will'.

    I've never been much of a one game guy. In the past year I've run or D&D 1E (Homebrew Modifications), D&D 3E (Homebrew Modifications), Mutants & Masterminds 2E, Ghostbusters RPG (Really Ghostbusters mixed with InSpectres), Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games/ICON System), Mekton Z, Aberrant (Storyteller version), D20 Modern/Future and Extended Mission (Homebrew Mod/Kitbash of the free rpg and Nuts & Volts).

    Next year is looking to include Star Wars (West End Games/D6), Traveller (Classic), Pathfinder and maybe, just maybe, Hunter Planet.

    ReplyDelete