Monday, November 23, 2009

How Tolkien is my D&D world?



I thought I would throw my hat into the ring (hold the applause) regarding the “Tolkien’s influence in D&D debate”, inspired by very recent posts at The Cimmerian and Grognardia.

Both posters are greater wordsmiths than I, and much more knowledgeable about the classic works that Gygax and his peers cited as influences for their game. I can merely speak upon my own humble experiences on this matter. I don’t know art, but I know what I like.

I mostly agree with James at Grognardia that many of Tolkien’s influence on the game as originally published at least seem superficial. The inclusion of Orcs and Hobbits and such surely were not what the game was meant to be about. The “feel” of original D&D for sure felt more like Lieber and Vance. You could picture The Gray Mouser or Conan creeping through a classic dungeon much more than you could picture Frodo in there. So in terms of gameplay, it didn’t feel much like Tolkien.

I think the Tolkien influence had more to do with a certain ground work, a laying of stone foundations sort of thing. I think it is safe to say that most fans of fantasy in the 60’s and 70’s started out with the Hobbit before moving on to LOTR and finally to darker, more adult oriented tales by less “romantic” authors. Just like in my case, there was a certain “growing up” happening.

As a kid on his way to a life of loving fantasy settings, I picked up a copy of The Hobbit left behind by one of my older brothers had discarded, and was on my way. It of course led to the Ring Trilogy (and multiple readings thereof). That love affair lasted for years until Jr. High, when I discovered Fritz and Howard (turned on to them now that I had met people of my own age who loved fantasy and showed me what they were reading). By the time I read fantasy other than Tolkien, I had already been playing/running D&D for a couple of years.

As I read more boldly adult, flesh and blood lusty adventuring, my game world got just a shade darker and sleazier. Finally, adventuring wasn’t just about ideals of chivalry and destroying dark lords. My games started becoming more about the characters getting glory, gold, and laid, just like Conan, Mouser, and other greats of darker fantasy. I think this, more than anything, is what Sir Gary and the others meant the game to be. A kid wants to be a noble hero like Aragorn. A young adult and older wants to be a badass horndog like Conan.

So Tolkien put down the foundation for me, and I think it was a lot like that for Gygax. You start out with the Tolk, then you will always treasure the Tolk. But you will inevitably “grow up”.

And the one thing that truly lets me know Gary had Tolkien in his heart and on his mind? Look at Gary’s writing in any of the gamebooks. A very old Victorian style. It sure sounds more like what Tolkien would write in the forwards for those books than any other fantasy author outside of Dunsany.

5 comments:

  1. I'd say that Gary's prose style was more like Jack Vance (at least in the Dying Earth series) or Clark Ashton Smith than like Tolkien. Or maybe E. R. Eddison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post sir. I think I'll make my nephew a t-shirt that says, "When I grow up, I want to be a badass horndog like Conan!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. And as I get older, the nostalgia brings me towards a more Hobbit-ish game, like I started out with. Blair from Planet Algol mentioned my Disney-esque (I hope he meant like the first Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty) game world that is played out in my blog, but somehow the group also likes this touch of innocence. The real world is superjaded enough, we are kicking back and letting the hobbits scour the dungeon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the Trilogy once, but found it boring. The only influence it had on me is "I don't want that kind of adventures..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hafi: despite my childhood love of the books, and yeah, love for the films (I even have some love for the Bakshi bomb), I never really tried to emulate the Fellowship adventures either. Sure, some dungeon elements in there, and some classic monsters, but those are things I drew from without trying to "Tolkien" my world.

    Never had much desire to GM/play in Middle Earth systems either.

    ReplyDelete