Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reconsidered: Night Below Campaign


Reconsidered: Night Below Campaign

During the 90’s, I hardly ever bought D&D supplementary material. I mean, I had so many seeds of ideas in my head when it came to gaming, I never felt I needed to buy other people’s ideas. Plus as a Scotsman, I’m notoriously cheap (and yet can never seem to save any money).

But when I got back into gaming after several years off, I had a hankering to purchase some of the interesting sounding items that I passed on many years before. So some time around winter of last year I got great deals from Ebay on the Dark Sun boxed set, and the Night Below boxed set.

By then I had a nice little campaign going, running countryside adventures to build up PC’s for an eventual dungeon crawl. Although they were interesting reads, Dark Sun and Night Below didn’t seem to have any immediate use in my current games. Actually, I had mulled over making a gateway in the dungeon that would transport the party to the Dark Sun world, that would be sort of a post-apocalypse version of my regular game world. But that was just a thought.

The party is getting up there in levels, most around 6th or 7th, and it is starting to seem like they will be at least 3 levels higher than I had planned them to be for the dungeon. So this last weekend I broke out my copy of Night Below, wondering if it might just make a decent alternative to the dungeon players were heading to. I took a good look at the first two of the three books of NB. I started to see the events of book 2 would be easily adapted to my current scenarios.

Book 1 features little adventures in a populated area of towns, villages, and farms. Much like my games have been so far, these little Mickey Mouse outdoor adventures are designed to beef up the party for eventual underground adventuring. Many little situations in book 1 are meant to give motivations for the Underdark adventures in book 2, but I should have no problem using what has already happened in my games to tie this in. For one thing, in the last couple of games the party has explored a gnomish “Safechamber,” a secret pad under the human frontier town of Overtown built long ago as a place for gnomes to hide from the monsters that once roamed the surface world in greater numbers. The party found a hidden trap door within, and that one appears to lead to an even larger gnomish area around a half mile under the town. I didn’t plan to have them go much deeper than that, but seeing as the underground gnome town (apparently abandoned) had passages to the Underdark, why not switch gears a bit and give the party good reason to go deeper (waaaaay deeper) below?

In the last few games I’ve had party members running afoul of a group of Drow who are in the area, secretly planning to eventually go to the same dungeon the players are going. But no problem, I can now have them coming to the area to meet up with Mind Flayers (from book 2) and working out a deal to capture spellcasters for them. So I can change the human slavers the party eventually encounters near the Derro area underground to these drow no problem. The players deserve a real face-off with these pesky dark elves anyway.

In the next game the party will explore the little abandoned sub-surface gnomish town, and they will discover gnome historians (and their infant daughter) from the gnome areas up north. They will have been spending years here studying and restoring this once bustling little community. The gnome family will be getting bothered by gnolls who have moved into upper caves near the abandoned gnome town of “Southgem”. These gnolls in turn will have been displaced from lower caverns by the troop of orcs that are working for the Mind Flayers who have been moving back and forth between the surface area and the City of the Glass Pool far below in the deeper underdark.

So all this, with a bit of prodding, should get the adventurer’s on their way to the Deep Gnome city, and eventually to the Kou-Toa.

There is a lot I don’t like in the Night Below material, and it will take a lot of my personal tweaking. But it has always been thus when I use modules or adventures created by others. You have personal taste, and you have to take that into account and make mods if you are a creative DM.

So in a later posts I will detail some of the changes, for good or better, that I plan to make in Night Below. If you have used the NB material in your games, I’d love to hear what kind of changes you might have made, and how the adventures panned out. If you have only read the material, I’d still love to hear what you think about it.

9 comments:

  1. I really dig the demonesses that could work with the less suspicious sort of party (or is that, stupid: 'why are all of these hot chicks down here?')

    The slimy city is kinda fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy hell. I literally had my Night Below box open a few hours ago and was considering it. My only word of warning is that Book 2 can really bog. There is lots and lots of fighting. Hell, clearing out the trolls early on in that book took us 8 hours of play.

    When you get to Book 3, however, things can get really interesting. Lots more opportunity for role-playing and uneasy alliances with Derro, Fiends and what not.

    If you run this, I look forward to hearing how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran a five year long campaign back in 2e days with Night Below. It's a great framework; of course you want to add a lot yourself and spice it up but it's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you run it, you might want to grab a copy of Dungeon #60 for Shards of the Day. It's an adventure that was written with the Night Below campaign in mind (IIRC it was supposed to be a potential side quest for Night Below). I've actually never played Night Below, but Shards of the Day was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mxyzplk: Five years? Wow. I can see it going that long, but I don't really want it to go that long. I've heard some say that after a couple of years they make it to the end of Book 1, and by then are kind of burned out by the setting.

    I think one of the main things I will tweak is removing some of the the time consuming side stuff. I'm thinking of taking the Rockseer Elves out completely, and beefing up the amount and quality of the help the party will get from the Deep Gnomes. Also, I'm thinking of making more flux points available for the party to use to get back and forth a little faster. I can see trudging back and forth between the deeper areas and places to get refreshed and healed getting real old real fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TS: I was just giving book three a better look last night, and those demonesses are kind of a hoot. I think they will be a lot of fun as allies. I think once befriended, I would have them around as a separate strike team, ready to pounce in once the players are making the attack on the Aboleth city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My old groups started Night Below soon after it came out. I remember lots of roaming the wilderness, and a fight with some river pirates, but we never got to the actual dungeon before we gave up.

    One of the guys in my current group has run it, and he dislikes the underground part, but thinks the overground early third is great stuff.

    So make of that what you will!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelvin: I don't think river pirates are in the orginal material, but I have read a lot online about people making big changes in the material. That seems to be the norm, and even when I first cracked it open early this year, right away things either appealed to me or didn't. I like the Sunless Sea area, and I may need to make the second book as brief as possible so I can have more fun with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's probably referring to the barge attack, by the one-eyed priest and company. Early in the first book.

    rangerjohn

    ReplyDelete