Thursday, January 26, 2012

Arkham Horror begats Call of Cthulhu








Being down three players last night (Dan Dan the Power Game Man is overseas for awhile, Little Ben has to take a month or two off suddenly, and Big Ben had a cold), we decided to finally play Paul’s copy of Arkham Horror he got for Xmas instead of my Runequest session.. In all honesty, I’m not feeling Runequest like I thought I would. I love the setting, but the super crunch of the combat rules really killed my buzz. I’m going to go back to the drawing board on that for awhile. Like I said a thousand times on this blog, my pet peeve in GMing it to feel like its work. I don’t wanna work during a game. I want to have a couple of beers and paint a picture. I’m all heart and passion at the center, not the crunchy shell. I actually was willing to carry on without using the mind-numbing, high maintenance Strike Rank, but with a couple of the guys being heavily for using it BTB, I just wanted to step back for a bit and take another look before we spent another session trying to adjudicate a battle with the characters and a couple of weapon snakes.

So we finally play AH (the latest version), and it seemed pretty cool. As the only real Lovecraft aficionado in the group, I had to hold back and not bore everybody with the back story of every side street on the Arkham map and all the monsters and books and such. What was weird was they, the Cthulhu novices, seemed to enjoy it a bit more than me. In all honesty, I like a board game to be a little simpler, and to be able to be played inside of three hours with 4 people or less. I’m actually surprised that we finished by 11:30, but I think we fudged a couple of things to be able to get to the battle with the endgame god (in this case it was Yig the serpent god, and we beat him with only one character dying).

We’ll have a better handle on it next time so it will go quicker, but one really good thing came out of this: we got the Lovecraft bug, and I’ll be running some Call of Cthulhu for my next session! Next week at Big Ben’s D&D I’m thinking of taking up a half hour or so for some CoC chargen so we can do less of that when I get the Cthulhu session underway.

Usually this would be a good time to get that weekly gaming in, but some of us are having our schedules become busier on weeknights than usual. Andy is getting involved in some kind of local politics, Terry is going to start bartending at her club a night or two during the week, and in addition to my usual once weekly music practice I want to start learning some new instruments – so all of a sudden we find ourselves dashing about trying to work it out for weekly gaming now. Once or twice a year we have a longer weekend session, and I suggested we try to make that once a month or so to make up for some lost weeknight sessions, so in the long run I think it will be all good and the group will carry on with standard operations bullshit for the foreseeable future.

2 comments:

  1. In all honesty, I'm not feeling Runequest like I thought I would. I love the setting, but the super crunch of the combat rules really killed my buzz.

    Which version are you using? RQII by the Chaosium? Frankly just drop the SRs and it will work wonders. Even Steve Perrin isn't using SRs any longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ye olde 2nd edition. I wanted to play it with the edition I was playing as a kid. I wanted to give strike rank a try so we could have a more detailed combat type of game, but really it sort of takes over. And it's easy for the guys to say they would prefer to use it - they only have to run one character. Imagine I have several scorpion men on the field, with a weapon SR and a different sting SR. I'd be up shits creek, not even mentioning the fact that mass warfare is common in the setting. I could not handle that with SR.

    Oh yeah, I think it would be a lot of fun and still a very different game from D&D with strike rank removed. I just want to friggin' run in that Glorantha setting. Ultimately the crunch means nothing to me. I'm going to let the stink wear off it a bit, then give it another go in the future. I don't want all that Glorantha research I did to go to waste.

    ReplyDelete