Monday, October 3, 2011

Jedi Suck






It’s the busiest time of the year for me, what with driving almost 5 hours every weekend to work at a Ren Faire, working late most nights during the week, and trying to keep up with a very hard, labor intensive math class. But I did manage to get a Knights of the Old Republic game in last week.

The biggest challenge of this game is twofold for me. Firstly, I am bound and determined for this to NOT be a Star Wars game. The KOTOR setting, and my experience with that excellent video game that made me actually fall in love with a certain version of the SW universe (set 4000 years prior to that douche Anakin Skywalker coming along and getting a woman more beautiful than he deserves), and secondly I’m trying to take it in different directions than a typical SW game might go. That did not work out so well for my infamous experience with a group of grumpy, mostly middle-age Star Wars nuts the other year, but it seems to be going over pretty well with my thankfully un-Star Wars geek group (early on a Star Wars game was a hard sell for some of them).

But most challenging is finding a way to keep Jedi characters from ruling the universe. They are just so fucking powerful, even at low levels. Telepathy, sensing of other force users, and galactic scanning abilities are served up before they even choose particular powers. And when they do those powers are almost always no-miss. Force powers have different, more potent task resolution than normal day to day stuff of other PC’s. They barely even need light sabers to rule the battlefield. As a matter of fact, the iconic light saber seems to be the weakest part about them (blasters do more damage).

The player of the female Cathar (cat people) Jedi isn’t really taking full advantage of these facts. She’s never been one to go for the power game. But the male Jedi player has studied the rules, sussed out the strengths and weaknesses of the abilities, and gets the maximum juice out of them. I’ve already discussed that the GM and the Jedi players need to be in agreement about how much the powers get used, and how potent they are. I thought there was an understanding, but when the player somehow thought he could stealthily use the Jedi Mind Trick on a Mandalorian who was surrounded by Mando pals who were wise to Jedi tricks, and I told him this was not really possible, it was outburst of anger time. “Go ahead and nerf the Jedi!” So at least this one Jedi player has already been conditioned by this game to not fear failure. Yeesh.

Well, I suppose if I had a little more experience with the game, I could have made it an all Jedi game so everybody could be insanely powerful badasses at low level, or I could have just forbid Jedi from the campaign (this would have been the wisest choice, I think).

But what is done is done. I’m trying to go by the rules as much as possible, so I can’t be too nerfy like I would with Dan Dan the Power Game man running a female drow in a D&D game. But the very presence of Jedi makes it very difficult to match the power of NPC’s with the PC’s. Too weak, and the Jedi in the party will help the group win out way easily. Pump them up a notch, and the party could find themselves stretched out on the tarmac (but at least alive. It is a bit difficult to get killed in this game.).

The mid-levels are being reached in the game now, so a new dynamic could be setting in. maybe it’ll get easier (even if the Jedi players don’t want to “play fair”). But one thing sort of nags at my mind. This is fun, but I’m very much looking forward to running a game again where the balance of power and the status quo is a little easier to maintain.

(Note: I should at least mention that not one player has moaned about the power imbalance. And even “gimmi gimmi” Andy seems to be against any kind of nerfing of Jedi funk even though he is not running a force user. Also, there is one character that is a force user and not a Jedi – so like I said, the dynamic might change as the game goes along)

9 comments:

  1. I hear the Sith Flu plays havoc with the Midichlorians...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'With great power comes great responsibility'. All canonical sources (movies etc) stress that Jedi are into self mastery and a strict code of conduct. Make sure players know and follow it. If they don't? Go over to the Dark side (and be hunted) or lose the Force.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered why I haven't seen more use of non-blaster weapons against Jedi. Mines are good, and explosives in general (though not grenades, they can be force-thrown). Flamethrowers. Vacuum. Poison. Trap doors. Electrified floors. Holograms. Cold.

    These aren't necessarily solutions to your problem. But any galactic bad guy worth his salt should have read the Star Wars equivalent of Sun Tzu and ought to know that, even when your enemies are not Jedi (but especially when they are), the best way to win is to engineer the situation such that no rebel goody-goody with a blaster or mind-control powers ever gets within a square country mile of the mastermind. Put a hostage on a ship (family members of PCs are useful but nice guys will try to save ANYONE), leak the info to the good guys through a plausible, hard to trace source, and when they arrive to save the day, depressurize the whole ship. Don't forget to blow it up afterward.

    I mean, that's what I would do if I were Jabba the Hutt. If I were GMing Jabba, I'd be sure to give the players a few clues and ways to escape to avoid a TPK. But still, you see my point. It's not all about powers. It's about decisions, planning, information...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cap Ob: Heh, Sith Flu. But man, that whole genetic midichlorian thing. Kind of chaps my ass. Why can't it just be magic?

    Tedan:That's interesting. These two Jedi seem almost a bit arrogant and selfish to me. One of them was required by Mandalorians who had a local teenager hostage (he had been along on the adventure as a speeder driver) to be bound and made helpless (with a kind of brain scrambler to confuse force powers) and brought in to see the main boss. Neither Jedi would submit. In the end the Mandos did not harm the boy and let him go, but I would have thought that any heroic Jedi from most media incarnations would gladly be taken hostage and helpless to get a young innocent released. Jedi or no, there does not seem to be one single selfless, truly heroic character in this bunch.

    Jessie: pretty good tips there, actually. We are only a handful of games into the campaign, so I'm still a bit shaky on how to deal with certain things (especially the Jedi issues). But I'm going to keep your ideas in mind for the next few games. And yeah, I gotta pump up the things that can get past that pesky ability to block attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running a Star Wars campaign can be tricky to balance, especially so that non-force-users don't just fell like henchmen for the Jedi.

    Part of it is prep. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of ways to deal with Jedi, especially if those Jedi aren't subtle and their opponents know what they are dealing with.

    Create scenarios that play to the non-Jedi characters' strengths. Give them situations that require role-play, thinking, and creative skill use rather than "I use the Force on the darkness!"

    Don't be afraid to give the non-force users a few goodies the help level the playing field a bit.

    Ysalamiri.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh...I've written about this at length in the past. Good luck, man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. JB: I took a look at some of the key words on your blog, and didn't see anything on Star Wars. If you ranted on it, I would for sure love to read about it. Point me out to anything you may currently have up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did find it interesting in the last game that neither Jedi were willing to be put into a compromising situation to save an innocent victim. It was ultimately the former Mandolorian that went in and took care of the business. There should definitely be some penalties for that somewhere down the line....

    And the Cathar Jedi, gambling at any opportunity, that hen will come home to roost at some point. But as far as power gaming goes don't count out that Khrill. We were discussing his level advancement plans before you arrived and he's got it pretty well figured out how to boost his force powers to the max as he levels up. It's pretty amazing that at 1st lvl he could barely flick a pebble with his mind but by 3rd lvl he could fling a speeder if necessary.

    I guess I didn't want you to nerf anybody else's character because I'd hate it if you did it to me. I still feel that way but I think you handled last week's episode rather well. I can't wait to play again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andy: I cannot think of a single canon Jedi who would take such a chance at a young innocent being killed because they would not be taken prisoner. Even helpless, most Jedi would relish getting into the enemy headquarters, and no matter how bound find a way to win the day for good.

    Ben is going to be pissed, but at the start of the next game he gets 2 dark side points for selfishness and arrogance, and Terry gets one for her slightly less poo pooing of the innocents plight, and for her gambling. I know they didn't do any evil, but I have already discussed that I will hold them to a higher standard than the others. This KOTOR period is a time when many Jedi have fallen to the dark because they could not buck up and be truly righteous and good. Let's see what happens...

    As for Paul, I guess he is somewhat like you: he assumes we are going to play enough of this game for characters to hit 10th level and higher. I've already got other genre campaigns I'm dying to start for 2012. I'm thinking we have, at most 5 games left before we leave KOTOR, at least for awhile.

    ReplyDelete