Friday, July 8, 2011

Would you face Traffic Hell for a game session?




Even though my life has become much busier due to previously mentioned things happening at work, our gaming group has managed to become a once weekly affair. One week I’m doing Knights of the Old Republic, and the next week Ben does his AD&D campaign (the one where we don’t all have to run elves). I haven’t done gaming on a weekly basis since I was a teenager, so it’s kind of a trip. I think all this solid, quality gaming is partly to blame for my decline of online participation in the gamer community, but I’ll talk about that in a separate post.

I thought I would be taking a summer break from gaming, as Andy and the wife are renting out the back place to a young guy from Spain for the time being (who Andy is trying to get interested in gaming so he’ll host us out there, if I am not mistaken). But Dan-Dan the Power Game Man, with the big palace up in Northern Bel Air off Mulholland, has stepped up to host for the time being despite a brand new baby in the house (his, he thinks).

It has been rough going for me so far, because as anybody in So Cal knows, the 405 Freeway (the gateway from West LA to the Valley) is a tough drive in the late afternoon. And despite a couple of better alternatives, it is the way I have foolishly tried to go to get to Dan’s (the Mulholland offramp has been closed, meaning having to drive down to Van Nuys, get off, and go back up Sepulveda).

Next week they are closing the 405 between West LA and Ventura Blvd. They are demolishing the Mulholland overpass or something. What this unheard of act means is that traffic is going to be a living nightmare for those willing to take to local freeways during his apocalyptic event. Sure, there is Sepulveda, and the few winding roads that go up into Northern Santa Monica and the Bel Air area, but those are more likely than not going to be a car nightmare.

For somebody like me who doesn’t like to drive unless it's long road trips up uncrowded Interstates, it was a given there would be no game next week, at least at Dan’s. But how about you? Have you ever gone into what you knew would be horrid traffic to get to a game session (maybe you were DM and didn’t want to disappoint those who showed up)? Would you try to get to the Dan situation I described for a game? I mean, I’m loving gaming lately, but LA traffic is bad enough without something insane like a 405 closure. I’d show up so frazzled I’d end up getting drunk and having to crash on the couch with Dan’s dogs.

5 comments:

  1. Good God man, it's just Bel Aire. Sounds like you're coming from the valley, so just bomb down the 101 and hop over Coldwater. Consider yourself lucky to even have a regular game, much less one in Bel Air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazyred: No way man, I'm on the West Side, so it's the opposite. Coming from Van Nuys (where regular player Terry lives, so the Dan option is better for her in general) would not daunt me much. But even under the best conditions, there is much more traffic flow to the Valley from the South than the other way around. On a good day you can look out a window in a Westwood office building at 7PM and see the southbound traffic moving while the Northbound is a total crunch.

    When there is majorly bad traffic on the 405 on a regular day, it affects side street traffic miles away. I kid you not. With the closure for a week anything can happen. Even the city traffic engineers can only theorize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, yeah, after reading the LATimes calendar section I guess the jig is up anyway. I feel your pain, fella.

    So, no, I'd personally give it a week. Gaming is something you wanna be psychologically fresh for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy: Well, first of all I thought originally that the closure was for the better part of the week, but it is just for the weekend. And judging by the light traffic this weekend, So Cal really got the message out and people are staying away. This is turning out to be as big a popcorn fart as el Nino was in the 90's (they thought there would be killer storms in Cali, and it sprinkled for about a day and a half).

    ReplyDelete