Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Love and the Monster Manual





Look at it now, and the first edition of the Monster Manual doesn’t look like much on the outside. Looking at it as an adult, it seems like a 12 year old painted the cover in elementary school art class.

But as a kid in the late 70’s, it was a wonder to behold. After having only the little brown books and various cheapie Judges Guild items, the bold colors of the MM cover really hit you over the head. And showing monsters above and underground told you almost all you needed to know about D&D; fighting beasties in the wilderness and in the dungeon.

And all those monster inside; boy, I must have poured through that book day and night for a year after getting it. For future fanboys like me, the MM was the first gateway drug to Greek Mythos. Hydra, Gorgons, hippogriffs, and all that lot right out of Bulfinch’s. And leave us not mention the Tolkien based stuff, including no less than three types of hobbit!

Man, that first copy of the MM got a lot of use, and still does. I still get a chill looking at the artwork, especially the Trampier stuff.

And one night years later, as a confused and sensitive mid-teen, the Monster Manual got me through my first real hard night. After a brutal dumping by a girlfriend at a Sci Fi con near LAX, I went home that Sunday night and was heartbroken. I could not sleep and had no idea how I would make it through the night.

I had a project in mind before that, which was doing the old Tunnels and Trolls classic Monsters! Monsters! But for 1st edition AD&D. So I broke out the MM and a notebook, and started to work out how each and every intelligent creature in the book could be used as a player character. Assigning of classes and class combinations, bonus and minus to stat blocks, and abilities gained through level progression. To this day it is the most work I have ever done on gaming material in a single sitting. And eventually I got to run that game. One player ran a young Frost Giant, another a Carnivorous ape, and things like that. They took a village apart that session, and the atrocities committed were horrendous. Half that party died when they tried to attack an actual walled city. The hail of arrows put an end to their madness.

And a happy ending too. Me and my ex-girlfriend reconnected for a time not long after that lonely night. There is always hope, but you just gotta get through the pain so you can feel good again. Thanks to the Monster Manual, I got through that dark night of the soul and came out smiling on the other end. Thanks, MM! I’m not sure my heart even has nerve endings anymore, but it’s nice to know you are there if I ever had to stay up all night again simmering in my own juices.

4 comments:

  1. Cool post. The MM blew my mind when I was a kid. It was one of the first D&D books I got after Moldvay basic. More than anything I think it was MM that really cemented D&D as having its own weird mythology.

    I'd love to play that MM Monsters! Monsters! game, by the way - do you still have your old (tear stained?) notes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the "Official Dungeons and Dragons Coloring Album" (which I recieved when I was seven or eight), the Monster Manual was the first D&D book I owned and was given to me as a Christmas present. Still think that was one of the best Christmas presents I ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the MM was my first real book love. There were parts of it I didn't understand - but then again I knew adults didn't understand parts which I did. DT's art really made it come alive.

    Thank you for sharing, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyclo: You know, around 6 years ago or so during my several year game hiatus, I decided I had to get rid of some of the material. I had around 20 spiral notebooks going back to my teen years, and after pouring through to note important facts in a new notebook (The birthdays of major NPC's, days and dates of certain events, etc) and threw out pretty much all other notebooks (this was around the time I Ebayed a ton of great stuff, like my copy of Empire of the petal Throne and Bunnies and Burrows (sob). It might be fun to go through that whole process again one night and work on the MM. I just need the right heartbreak to get me going.
    John: The one that comes with a mini dungeon game, right? This is a trip, but the very same girlfriend I mention in the post and I played through that dungeon one night. It was a lot of fun. I think I even used that dungeon level in a pinch for ann actual D&D session. And yeah, I colored my copy.
    Bulette: thanks, bro.

    ReplyDelete