Thursday, June 17, 2010

Elmer Fuddism in Dungeons and Dragons






Yep, it’s a term I have proudly invented for a certain kind of D&D. It’s the kind a whole passel of us somewhat older folk experienced when we first got into the game. Characters rolled up with 3D6 in order, an early form of gameplay that was about exploding chests, worms that lived in doors who ate your brain if you put your ear up to it (in a game that practically demand you put your head up the parasite infested wood), and screwjob rust monsters, and a dungeon master who delighted in your characters pain made real by your own personal humiliation when you realize the DM thinks he’s smarter than you because you just didn’t check that section of wall thoroughly enough.

The characters, often made subpar physically compared to even local farmers and shopkeepers because of the unyielding numbers brought up by 3D6, where like some dark ages Elmer Fudd (“kill the wabbit!”). Your character stumbled into the dungeon, with the DM playing Bugs Bunny with an exploding cigar in hand.

Concepts like resurrection, reincarnation, and wishes just implied that characters should die early and often in the game, and if the person being DM had any asshole qualities at all, those would surely come out in their style. DM’ing was a great way for even the most dorky 70’s/80’s version of Napoleon Dynamite to live out his God complex.

Although I tired of that type of gameplay not too late into my teens, I’m sure “push the button and die horribly” gaming was still going on (and many other non-D&D genre games that were coming out, like Paranoia, seemed to have come out of that classic D&D mode.). I stopped hanging out at Aero Hobbies because of the older creeps and the sucky gaming, and I really wasn’t somebody who would go to conventions (if anything to avoid the smell – they were pretty bad in the 80’s) anymore than for a few hours once in a very blue moon. As I said in my last post, my style in the 80’s and beyond evolved mostly because of the presence of girls and newbies to gaming into a softer, gentler DM.

Poking around the online game community in the last couple of years, I have noticed that there are still a lot of gamers who prefer “Fuddism.” Yep, do up your character with 3D6, laugh at how retarded or weak or in ill - health they are, and march him into the labyrinth and laugh at how easily he dies. Some even suggest that having shitty stats promotes good role-play!

Look, we all love Conan or Tarzan or John Carter of Mars or whoever, but we all know that these aren’t the powerhouses we are going to get with any system of stat rolling. But if you are anything like me, when/if you sit down as a player, your hope is to have a couple of stats above average and nothing under a 9. Do lower stats happen in my game? Sure, even 4D6 pick best 3 can lead to unhappy results. But generally you get a guy who even at 1st level can best the local stable hand in either physical prowess or the brains department. Hey, to have a paladin or a monk or whatever you still need to get some lucky rolls, but the chances at getting anything but the base 4 classes using 3D6 in order is actually pretty damn seriously low. Like 1 in a 100 low. Yeah, you should come in prepared to run a cleric or fighter or whatever, but if a paladin is in your heart for a long campaign, a slightly more generous method like 4D6 is going to serve you well.

As a DM (which is what I do as opposed to being player 99.9999% of the time), I don’t want to be Bugs Bunny and I don’t want the characters to be a bunch of Elmer Fudd’s or Damien Dipshits or whatever you want to call them. I want to run great, challenging adventures for characters who may have a fault here and there physically, and may not always make the right decisions, but are generally exceptional physical specimens born to adventure, and not some kind of normal schlub who has to hire on some even less normal schleps just for a chance at survival in the depths below. Not Robert E. Howard heroes necessarily, but jeez, at least they should be on the physical level of the wife beater- wearing “Guido” at the gym doing arm curls while smoking a ciggy.

I had recently planned on doing an OD&D game at an Orange County gameday event a couple of months ago, but the main thing that had me drop the whole thing was I was too conflicted over the stats. I wanted to do it by the book (that was going to be the whole point, D&D as museum piece), but 3D6 in order was just something I didn’t want to deal with. Poor little Billy with his Strength 13 fighter with a 6 constitution. Screw that.

So 4D6 is the way for me, and I think it is the most popular. I’ll even allow an elimination roll for anything under 9. Whatever it takes to get you a decent, survivable character you can be happy with and get the game under way.
And…I hope this does not conflict too much with my last post ranting about being too soft a DM…

17 comments:

  1. Aww, you're no fun anymore! ;)

    Scores of 9 are average for humans. Plus, it makes a nice carrot for the players to (hopefully) find something to augment them.

    I once had a monk with a 3 intelligence. He was a natural. Pure instinct. Of course, he would also get distracted by butterflies & small shiny objects. And he couldn't speak in any coherant language.

    It is what you make of it.

    The DM balances the challenges on the abilities/scores/levels of the players' characters. So if they get more, they can handle more. Besides, do you really want to throw the 1st level characters into the impenetrable-multi-level-mega-dungeon-of-shadowy-death-and-really-nasty-things?

    Ciao!
    GW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as usual I exaggerate a bit, but I will always take a firm stand, halberd in hand, against 3d6 in order!

    But I can see where a low stat can pretty much force a player to take it into account in the role play department. Grendl, your 3 Int guy to me would be near impossible to run. 3 must be the lowest intelligence any humanoid could have and still function and survive without help all the time. Not just dumb, but near-crippling retardation.

    Now a 6 in something I could handle as a player. One of the rare times I've played these days was in Grognarida James ill-fated and short lived PbP. My guy had a decent Int but a 6 Con. So I made him a magic user with a terrible drinking problem. A sclorotic liver and poor eating habits would account for his 6 Con. There, I role played! I didn't really want to run a drunken magic user (who ended up with 1 hit point or some bullshit), but I found him to be kind of fun. But I think the key is I didn't want to run a weak Con guy but I had no choice. I just sort of like the players having a bit more choice in the way I wished I had. Now, do 3D6 in ANY order then I would be happy that at least I could pick where the 6 went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a little odd how much importance you place on ability scores. They're really not "all that" in any version of classic D&D. Good scores may be prerequisites for some classes but they're far from prerequisites for success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dunno, it may be from also having a sports background growing up, where how fast, strong , etc. mattered. It was often how you were defined by others. So I dragged that into more importance for my D&D. How is that so odd? I find it odd when somebody doesn't have concern for stats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fuddist. Guilty as charged.

    Is this the pendulum swinging?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's it... turn in your badge and gun.

    I do 3d6 in order only for Basic D&D, where there are only a handful of classes and, demi-humans aside, no barriers for class entry. I do 4d6-L, arrange to taste, for AD&D, since there are a lot more classes and so many finicky ability requirements. (Plus most of the ability scores had more detailed uses in AD&D.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever since I made the switch from B/X to AD&D some 25 years ago, I've always done it 3d6 out of 4d6 (presumably drpping the lowest), in order. After the rolls, I allow 2 swaps, and any number of 2-for-1 exchanges of points. In the event that the resulting set of stats doesn't contain at least one 16 or higher or 2 14s or higher, the player has the option of discarding the whole set and starting from scratch.

    I'm not totally sure where I came up with that mishmash, but it's always served me well. Players get to chose which will be their two best scores, but there are still a few surprises, hard choices, or sacrifices lurking out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get what you're saying; nothing is worse than have an idea for a cool character but not being able play it because you rolled poorly.

    That being said 3d6 in order can be great. I find it fun to try and explain the characters goofy stats. And to explain why this loser is adventuring. Horses for courses I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I let players play any class they like. Stats are important. For realism's sake I have introduced AGILITY, ENDURANCE, PERCEPTION, and ARTISTIC IQ (a requisite for certain schools of magic) stats. These are derived from Basic Six, and are used to modulate skill checks and ability checks.

    In general, I let players roll 3D6 or 3/4D6 in order, and then they roll % dice to get the requisite scores for their chosen charcater class up to speed. Basically, I made a percentile table based ont he bell curve to say, get score ranges 15 to 18 for Druids. You just roll %-ile dice once and get the score. Players have a choice of whether they get a man on the street or an elite background. Elites roll 4D6, man on street rolls 3d6, but they get an in-game social support net/social safety net, to represent the communal support that allows these characters to survive despite low stats and poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ryan: OK, maybe I'm not ready to fully turn in the badge. As you can see from my other recent posts, a couple of my players are ticking me off by taking advantage of my sweet side! So I may be falling back into a bit of Fuddism myself soon.
    GSV: I do want to do some OD&D for laughs sometime somewhere. If so, I may do 3D6 and Fudd-out.
    Brooze: hmmm, interesting way to go. I'll take an Elite, please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Brunomac: R'uh R'oh, 'Runomac! Not the Fudd! Not the Fudd! We-e-ell, unless you really have to.

    My 3 INT guy weren't so bad. Again it's what you make it of it. Surprisingly, I played him from first to fifth level. He could see the universe in a blade of grass. Problem was, he would sit and watch it for hours if given the chance. He was also the luckiest character ever to pick from the Deck of Many Things. He got every good card, even when nudged by the other players' characters to keep picking. He'd pick one, get a deed to a Keep or a fighter in his service. They'd pick, they'd get Donjon or a Minor Death to fight.

    Let the dice fall where they may for fun, but you may get surprised and the players may actually enjoy the challenge!

    Ciao!
    GW

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first D&D char had 3 int, that GM had the 4d6 drop the lowest. It wasn't really that bad, I just used the goonies as a reference (I was 12).

    Low stats only make it hard to survive if everyone else magically has high stats (alot of GM's have high stat NPC's but 3d6 straight down PCs)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My game situations would be tough choices for the modern player, tere is no reason to saddle him with a reatrded PC. DMing should not be about rolling random events to make the game interesting for both, the DM and his players. DMing is really about giving players hard choices - tactical, cognitive, and ethical, and the unforseen cosnequences of those choices. A player throws a flask of oil into a hay loft where there are goblins shooting at them. As the barn goes up in flames they hear several women screaming. Unbeknownst to players, Goblins kept the prisoners that players were rescuing in that hayloft. Good for a real world screaming macth among the layers. I didn't roll dice. I didn't tell them to set eeverything in sight on fire. The game consequences is hero to outlaw that happens when you burn the wife and daughter of the warlord who hired you... The plus side of this kind of a design is that there is little luck involved and had the players made a right choice (do the reconnaissance), it wouldn't have happened. Player's skill, not the Charater's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want to have control about what kind of character i play (at least most of the time. sometimes, very rarely, i don't care). if i want to play a mage, i want to play a mage. not a fighter or a thief.

    often when creating a character for a group i usually wait for the others to pick and then go for what's left to round out the group. but sometimes i come to a game knowing exactly what i want to play.

    "3d6, arrange to taste" may lead to average or poor characters (but chances are just as good to get very good stats obviously), but at least it gives me control over my character. i can live with that.

    3d6 in order doesn't have anything going for it, i guess. at least nothing i can recognize. (except quickness probably)

    as gm i always give my players the freedom to create whatever character they like. the kind of character, not how powerful he is, thats for the dice to decide (i am generous with really bad rolls, but average or poor ones are ok). why would i force someone to play with a character they don't want? what does anyone gain that way?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a much easier time playing 3d6 per stat when I was 11 or 12. What usually resulted for us was a party entirely of fighters of varying ability. Why? Because a wizard with an INT of less than 10 honestly didn't make sense. Neither did a Thief with a DEX less than 9. I mean, there has to be some sort of latent ability for you to take up one of those lifestyles.

    So, low CON but high (or mediocre) DEX fighters would be archers. Fighters with no real good abilities were spearmen. One friend of mine decided to be a farmer. "I've got no stat above 10" he said, "why would I adventure? I'm going to be a farmer. Today I am plowing my field. You have fun in the dungeon getting killed."

    Old school-style play is designed for a certain mood and atmosphere. Stats didn't really represent anything. Not until AD&D did stats start to truly take on meaning. Rolling up stats in old-school D&D is actually PART OF THE GAME. Fortune-based resolution methods begin the moment you decide to play.

    The problem is, I have a hard tome immersing myself in this sort of game very deeply. I don't really invest a great deal in character depth or personality unless they survive a few levels. Metagaming in old-school booklets appears to be encouraged. The entire time, the players are keenly aware that it is a game they are playing. Yes, you can act out your character, but the focus seems to be much more on the mechanics of the game, not the immersion factor. Thus, if I play old school games, it is always with the knowledge that I'm playing from a mechanical and not immersive standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your post conflates two things that don't have to be connected: 3D6 in order and asshole DMs. The true asshole doesn't care how you created the character; he can still kill characters with ear seekers, "push button and die" traps, etc., regardless of their stats. The more important part of the post is about concepts of PCs: are they heroic to start with or do they have to grow into heroism? A decent DM will give 3D6 in order characters a fair chance to become heroes, and (at least in OD&D)characters with low stats are about as likely to live as characters with low stats.

    ReplyDelete